Senegal Bichir Broken Back?

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Haven't seen any rounded bending of a bichir's spine like that before, though the red and frayed ventral fins make me suspect a bacterial infection of sorts. The belly doesn't look full as a result of food IMO, and fluid buildup/swelling seems more likely. I doubt that it crashed into a wall at breakneck speeds, but I suppose it's not out of the question; I don't know if the spine would've gradually curved towards the midsection of the fish if it did indeed hurl itself at a wall, however. Perhaps Hao Hao or giseok jung giseok jung could help?
Sorry. I'm no expert when it comes to health issues/diseases issues. My expertise is identifying bichirs. Best of luck to OP! Hopefully giseok jung giseok jung can chime in. I've usually consulted him when it comes to health issues/diseases.
Thanks

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
May be stray electrical currently. Check your heater or pump.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
May be stray electrical currently. Check your heater or pump.
Recently the outlets in the room he’s in shorted, and I had everything plugged into an extension cable. It was all fixed about 4 days ago, and I plugged everything in 2 days ago. However, the outlet quite close to it has been doing mini shorts, everything temporarily turns off for a second or two with that outlet. Though it’s likely that I would’ve noticed if that outlet was doing it because of the filter stopping. his back thing happened within a day or so, so

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
BINGO...it's not the outlet. It's your aquarium equipment. It will affect your fish.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
By the way, has the hole in the backyard filled up with water?

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
IMO it does seem like a broken back… let it be and I may recover. Fish with broken backs have chances of recovering!

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
BINGO...it's not the outlet. It's your aquarium equipment. It will affect your fish.
What rules out bacterial infection or a broken back or fluid/air buildup?

At this point I’m not sure he’ll make it through the night. He is out of it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store