Setting up the 100 gal... finally

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I guess I should probably say this a little better since I have a moment. Uv is usefull for simple algaes and bacterium depending on size of the unit. Talking to a friend that is in water sterilization field has given me quiet a bit of info in the past. As a good rule the uv unit should be about 1/2 your gallons in watts. Flow rates vary based on what you are trying to accomplish but 2-3 turns per hour will cover you pretty well. If you are trying to cure ich or some larger parasite/ viral infection you can pretty much forget it. But as a back up to help with secondary infections its a good help unless the medication says differently. But for startup id not use it.

Sarahmander

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
San Diego
I guess I should probably say this a little better since I have a moment. Uv is usefull for simple algaes and bacterium depending on size of the unit. Talking to a friend that is in water sterilization field has given me quiet a bit of info in the past. As a good rule the uv unit should be about 1/2 your gallons in watts. Flow rates vary based on what you are trying to accomplish but 2-3 turns per hour will cover you pretty well. If you are trying to cure ich or some larger parasite/ viral infection you can pretty much forget it. But as a back up to help with secondary infections its a good help unless the medication says differently. But for startup id not use it.
It actually is part of the filtration system. The water flows through a tube with the uv light in it as it returns to the tank. Not sure of the wattage, but I plan on getting a new bulb, and I know it's a couple feet long. Pretty much just hoping for it to help with algae anyway. It came with the tank, so I figure I'll use it.

Sarahmander

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
San Diego
Started setting up. Rinsed the Flourite Black Sand and added water... still super murky and found a small leak that needs my attention. I also realized that my Finnex 24/7 light does not have a dimmer function on the 24/7 part. :/ It us currently way too bright for my polys, but I really like the sunrise to sunset feature. Anyone know something I can maybe cover the lights with to tone them down a little?

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
What about floating plants. I have horn wart floating in some of my tanks. Seems to cast a bit of shade

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store