Shortfin eels

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
Anyone know where I could get my hands on some shortfin eels, Anguilla australis in the US? Only places I can find them is on AU-based sites, which I feel like would be crazy expensive to ship.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Anyone know where I could get my hands on some shortfin eels, Anguilla australis in the US? Only places I can find them is on AU-based sites, which I feel like would be crazy expensive to ship.
Paypal me $1million and I'll go collect one and mail it to you.

Oops, that's a longfin. That doesn't matter for purposes of my dumb joke.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Paypal me $1million and I'll go collect one and mail it to you.

Oops, that's a longfin. That doesn't matter for purposes of my dumb joke.
Man new Zealand is insane. Parrots that can’t fly and eels that can eat a baby!
But in all seriousness they are awesome. My one question is why do they get so bigger than in AUS?

Reactions: xenacanth9

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Man new Zealand is insane. Parrots that can’t fly and eels that can eat a baby!
But in all seriousness they are awesome. My one question is why do they get so bigger than in AUS?
That one was actually a longfin eel, different much bigger species. This is a female that's the bigger one. I think it's only in NZ, there's a smaller Australian Longfin.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
That one was actually a longfin eel, different much bigger species. This is a female that's the bigger one. I think it's only in NZ, there's a smaller Australian Longfin.
Yeah, i know about longfins, however i was under the assumption that Aus longfins where the same as Nz longfins.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
There's a very large sp in Solomon Islands, if memory serves.
But why bother - good ol' American or European eels are fantastic fun & certainly big enough at ~4'. Even smaller, these animals are very active, bright/interactive and powerful: strong enough to wreak havoc to your tank's substrates, plants, habitats decorations & eventually muscle the lid (to its disservice). I've got two Jamaican/Americans @14~18" & they're a manic pair of bulldozers, and quite beautiful when the sunlight hits.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
There's a very large sp in Solomon Islands, if memory serves.
But why bother - good ol' American or European eels are fantastic fun & certainly big enough at ~4'. Even smaller, these animals are very active, bright/interactive and powerful: strong enough to wreak havoc to your tank's substrates, plants, habitats decorations & eventually muscle the lid (to its disservice). I've got two Jamaican/Americans @14~18" & they're a manic pair of bulldozers, and quite beautiful when the sunlight hits.
Are these the ones you had collected when they were smaller?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store