Silver Arowanas are biting each other???

Freddy Newandyke

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2017
IMG_6279.JPG Hi I finally got two Silver Arowanas, it's literally a dream come true. After perfectly acclimating them to their new tank, after around 10 min, I started noticing that they were occasionally calmly swimming up to each other and doing a swift motion where their mouth would kinda "bite" the other Arowana's body.

What's making me confused is if it was aggression I would assume that the Arowana getting "bitten" would either defend itself or swim abruptly away. But neither of them are doing that. Neither of them remotely look like they're trying to be aggressive towards each other, in fact they look like they get along very well.

The waters in the tank are absolutely perfect. Fully cycled, no ammonia or nitrites or nitrates.

Is the Arowanas doing the "bites" normal or is it something I should be worrying about. If you have any questions feel free to ask right away.

Thanks

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi I finally got two Silver Arowanas, it's literally a dream come true. After perfectly acclimating them to their new tank, after around 10 min, I started noticing that they were occasionally calmly swimming up to each other and doing a swift motion where their mouth would kinda "bite" the other Arowana's body.

What's making me confused is if it was aggression I would assume that the Arowana getting "bitten" would either defend itself or swim abruptly away. But neither of them are doing that. Neither of them remotely look like they're trying to be aggressive towards each other, in fact they look like they get along very well.

The waters in the tank are absolutely perfect. Fully cycled, no ammonia or nitrites or nitrates.

Is the Arowanas doing the "bites" normal or is it something I should be worrying about. If you have any questions feel free to ask right away.

Thanks

How big are the Arowana's? Arowana are territorial and eventually one will become weak and stressed if they are babies.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I would personally throw some floating plants in there to see if it will help. If you start to notice scales, fins being ripped immediately divide or rehome one of them.

Freddy Newandyke

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2017
I would personally throw some floating plants in there to see if it will help. If you start to notice scales, fins being ripped immediately divide or rehome one of them.
For now I don't see any damage on either of them, but I'll definitely monitor them constantly. Im wondering how would floating plants help Arowanas be less aggressive?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
For now I don't see any damage on either of them, but I'll definitely monitor them constantly. Im wondering how would floating plants help Arowanas be less aggressive?

Break the line of sight from one another sometimes. I used this method with my African Butterfly fish and I know not nearly as aggressive as their cousin the Silver Aro but gave a break from nudging each other all the time.

Freddy Newandyke

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2017
Break the line of sight from one another sometimes. I used this method with my African Butterfly fish and I know not nearly as aggressive as their cousin the Silver Aro but gave a break from nudging each other all the time.
But wouldn't aros be way more aggressive towards each other when they're being territorial and such? Mine are literally just doing a little bite to each other very occasionally and the aro that's being bitten doesn't seem to mind one bit. Is it a thing where if aros get aggressive they'll just not react to the other aro biting them?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
But wouldn't aros be way more aggressive towards each other when they're being territorial and such? Mine are literally just doing a little bite to each other very occasionally and the aro that's being bitten doesn't seem to mind one bit. Is it a thing where if aros get aggressive they'll just not react to the other aro biting them?

Now that you said that just leave be I wouldn't want it to intensify. I want this to work out for you.

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store