Silver Dollar v Plants

Karan1581

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2017
I have 4 silver dollar. they are the most hungry fishes among others. The problem is that I am not able to maintain my plants because of the silver dollar as they are eating all my plants. I feed them algae wafers every day twice but then also they are eating up my plants. I really don't care much about plants because I love my fishes but what they do is they tear the plants which result in blockage of the filter. The broken leaves stick to the filter and stop the water flow.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have 4 silver dollar. they are the most hungry fishes among others. The problem is that I am not able to maintain my plants because of the silver dollar as they are eating all my plants. I feed them algae wafers every day twice but then also they are eating up my plants. I really don't care much about plants because I love my fishes but what they do is they tear the plants which result in blockage of the filter. The broken leaves stick to the filter and stop the water flow.

Welcome aboard☺

Yes you will have that problem unless you remove the plants. Another alternative is plastic plants. You can also try live Anubias plants.

Reactions: Yohanon and magpie

Karan1581

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2017
Also, these silver dollar eats every piece of algae wafers because of which my pleco are not able to eat

Abyss

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2008
UK
From my experience, Silver Dollars are ravenous and eat everything. They'll even try to eat plastic plants.

Having said that, I didn't try anubias or java fern with them - which are the two most recommended plants with Silver Dollars. Anubias is apparently too tough and rubbery, and Java Fern tastes bitter. I'm sceptical myself, but will be trying anubias at least once with my shoal, just as a final hail mary.

Reactions: tlindsey

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
few days ago, i was considering to add plants to my tank which has silver dollars and tinfoil barb... i read that these fishes will eat most plants but for anubias and ferns... some reported success with silver dollars.... so i bought a small bunch of it (about 15-20cm tall) and put it in my tank yesterday afternoon.... noticed that 1 silver dollar tried to chew on it but move away after first bite....

now about 24 hours later.... so far so good.. if the plant remains after 1 week or 72 hrs i will purchase more java ferns to try

Giant Val

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2017
Qld, Australia
My 340 gal tank was heavily planted with 115 Bleheri swords plus about 10 anubias. The swords grew up to the surface and I routinely had to trim leaves to thin them out a bit. About 6 mths ago I put in 16 silver dollars and they devastated the plants. The swords now take up about 1/10 the volume they used to, and all the anubias are now reduced to rhizomes only. I suggest don't attempt silver dollars in a planted tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store