Similar to Hoplias

Williamtomfrank

Feeder Fish
Sep 7, 2017
Oklahoma
I am trying to find a species similar to Hoplias. Similar in every aspect. The only hang up is, Hoplias, Channa (obviously), and Macodon are prohibited species in Oklahoma. I want this species because my son wants a "dinosaur" and I love ancient aggressive fish. (Probably because I, too, love dinosaurs) any suggestions?

Reactions: Mighty Wizard

Williamtomfrank

Feeder Fish
Sep 7, 2017
Oklahoma
Currently I have a 55 gallon, 40 gallon, and a 10 gallon tank. I plan on eventually having some convicts to breed/feed. My wife wants a "pretty tank" and I can do what ever I want with the 55.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
My suggestion would be a bowfin, first thing that came to mind but will need a large tank.

Consider looking into polypterus if you like ancient fish. They are manageable and can be kept in
A 55g.

reefman

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
In front of my tanks
As said Amia calva (bowfin) would be the closest thing you would find. Usually springtime venders will get juveniles or if you have them in your local waters catch one

Reactions: Mighty Wizard

Mighty Wizard

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Everywhere
+1 for Bowfin, those fish are awesome, and should be relatively easy to source in Oklahoma. Another obvious choice would be Polypterids. Of all the "dinosaur" fishes, they are by far the oldest, spanning back as much as 400 million years (!) in fossil records.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store