Siphon instead of overflow?

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I know the best setup is with a drilled tank and all that or you can buy those overflow boxes that pump the water up and out so you don't have to drill your tank but could you just use say an intake from a canister filter? And use the siphon it creates to fill the sump?

Or in reality you could use anything that creates a siphon just like my python water changer.

I would think the same would work for output too... Just attach a canister output to the pump In the sump.

So in the tank it would look like you have a canister filter but down below you have all the luxury of the sump.

My only thought would be if the siphon could keep up? Is there ways to increase a siphons flow?

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
The HOB overflow boxes work a bit different from that. Using a siphon of any kind is a sure fire way to flood your house. One method I've used in the past is a DIY pvc overflow. I could probably dig up a couple pictures to show you what it is and how it works. Still not 100% fail proof. I've always used 2 together in case one failed the other would have me covered.

Reactions: jaws7777

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
One thing to point out with why you do not want to use a siphon...let's say your power goes out...the siphon keeps going until it lowers the tank enough to break siphon. Ok, now the power comes back on...tank fills, but the siphon has no way of starting again on It's own. Now your tank overflows until your sump runs dry and burns out your pump. Not good!

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
The HOB overflow boxes work a bit different from that. Using a siphon of any kind is a sure fire way to flood your house. One method I've used in the past is a DIY pvc overflow. I could probably dig up a couple pictures to show you what it is and how it works. Still not 100% fail proof. I've always used 2 together in case one failed the other would have me covered.

You could solve the issue of potentially flooding your house by choosing at what level the intake (siphon) is at in your aquarium right?

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Nope...won't matter what level it's at. Not to mention, balancing the siphon to match your pump would be next to impossible

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
One thing to point out with why you do not want to use a siphon...let's say your power goes out...the siphon keeps going until it lowers the tank enough to break siphon. Ok, now the power comes back on...tank fills, but the siphon has no way of starting again on It's own. Now your tank overflows until your sump runs dry and burns out your pump. Not good!

And I guess you would have to design you sump so that the compartment that the pump is in only gets enough water to be able to keep up so that once siphon breaks it won't have enough water to pump... You'll still burn out your pump but better than flooded house... But I definitely get what your saying their issues that could be difficult to get around but it's still do able

Reactions: Bigfishnut

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I don't want to risk drilling my tank and I wasn't gonna switch to a sump I just had the idea pop into my head today when I was cleaning my fx4 and turned the valve to let water into the filter and realized that instead of filling the canister it could also fill a sump

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
So basically with overflow boxes and DIY you can create a weir that would stop water from siphoning down in case of a power outage... And also restart itself do to the design of the siphon?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store