Stocking 220 gal

Fishguy679

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
So many things wrong here, just ????? Newer member to the forum, do a minuscule amount of research on any of the fish you mentioned.
nothing wrong with asking semi specific questions on a forum,
I'd rather get people's first hand experience and advice to my specific question than research the fish I want. Plus this thread might help someone in the future if they come across it.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

Fishguy679

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
Don't worry about the initial rudeness, at least you're doing your research before stocking the tank. That being said I believe even a 220 is too small for most species of rays, and the ones that will live comfortably in there are sensitive to water quality. Definitely too small for an Arowana too. It could make a bad ass cichlid tank.
+1 on the cichlid tank.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
So today's the day. Buying a 220 gallon today. What rays are typically pleco safe? My LFS carries BD and marble, those typically pleco safe? Also, if I want to get rays in 6 x 2 x 2.5 what should I use on bottom? Sand? How much driftwood is good? Anybody has any tanks that have rays in 220 gal or plecos in it, send picture in this thread so I can see an idea. Looking to add gars, catfish, black aro and possibly some puffers and other oddballs along with rays and plecos. Can't wait :)
Hello, and congrats on getting your tank.

I too have a 220 6x2x2.5 and actually had a lot of the same questions you have. As far as rays go, the general rule is that you want to at least have a tank that is at least twice the width of the ray's full grown disc size, and you want the tank to be 3-4x the length of the ray's full grown disc size. I too really wanted a ray in my 220 but after researching I came to the conclusion that a 220 is not really suitable for any rays long term. This is because the smallest rays available, such as the hystrix, marble motoro and reticulated rays, still can reach a disc size of 16-18". This means that you really need a tank at least 3' wide and 6' long. The 220 is long enough but it is just not wide enough.

Also, I believe black arrowanas can potentially reach near 36-48" when fully grown, which means that they are not suitable for a 220 either. This is another fish that I really wanted for my 220 but decided against due to the size of tank that the fish will end up needing being much larger than the 220.

As far as catfish go, the 220 can definitely host many species of catfish. Just do your research on the type of catfish and make sure it will not get over 18" or so when fully grown. Unfortunately, this means no red tails.

I'm not very familiar with gars so I will let someone else speak about whether or not any species are suitable for a 220.

I decided to go with fire eels for my 220. I currently have two at about 11" but I may still need to go down to one if they don't end up getting along when they're older. I've had them since 4". I also plan on growing out some discus and adding about 8-12 of them to the tank. That will be all I plan on keeping in it.

Good luck with your tank and keep us posted what you decide to keep in it.

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Hello, and congrats on getting your tank.

I too have a 220 6x2x2.5 and actually had a lot of the same questions you have. As far as rays go, the general rule is that you want to at least have a tank that is at least twice the width of the ray's full grown disc size, and you want the tank to be 3-4x the length of the ray's full grown disc size. I too really wanted a ray in my 220 but after researching I came to the conclusion that a 220 is not really suitable for any rays long term. This is because the smallest rays available, such as the hystrix, marble motoro and reticulated rays, still can reach a disc size of 16-18". This means that you really need a tank at least 3' wide and 6' long. The 220 is long enough but it is just not wide enough.

Also, I believe black arrowanas can potentially reach near 36-48" when fully grown, which means that they are not suitable for a 220 either. This is another fish that I really wanted for my 220 but decided against due to the size of tank that the fish will end up needing being much larger than the 220.

As far as catfish go, the 220 can definitely host many species of catfish. Just do your research on the type of catfish and make sure it will not get over 18" or so when fully grown. Unfortunately, this means no red tails.

I'm not very familiar with gars so I will let someone else speak about whether or not any species are suitable for a 220.

I decided to go with fire eels for my 220. I currently have two at about 11" but I may still need to go down to one if they don't end up getting along when they're older. I've had them since 4". I also plan on growing out some discus and adding about 8-12 of them to the tank. That will be all I plan on keeping in it.

Good luck with your tank and keep us posted what you decide to keep in it.
I think dats would work in a 220

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
I wasn't trying to be rude, I apologize. The thing is the info is here for the general info you asked. Including plecos/rays not really going together. Puffer/ray is just throwing money away. And the countless times someone wanted to keep an aro in a too small tank. Again wasn't tying to be rude. Congrats on the 220! It is a nice tank but just not big enough for the kind of fish you were asking about.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store