Stocking an aquarium

Carts1234

Feeder Fish
Sep 11, 2019
Hey guys I have been keeping fish for many years but haven’t really ventured into large tanks due to space constraints. We are now moving house and there is a fish room that I will be setting up with this tank as my showcase tank. Basically just wondering what kind of fish you guys would recommend for my aquarium it’s is a 63 inches long by 24 inches tall by 22 inches deep and I was thinking maybe an Oscar and a jack Dempsey. The tank will mainly be filtered through an fx6 I have acquired off a friend who shut down his tanks and supplemented by a large sponge filter as I will be running the room off a Jehmco lph26 linear piston pump.

I would like to keep some kind of large predatory fish in this tank but I am open to any ideas
Thanks in advance

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
I suggest having a look through the members' tank pictures and videos. Might find something that tickles you. Just get fish that can't outgrow the tank.

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Well, the space is wide enough for a large fish but not quite large enough for "large active fish", so sounds to me like a fantastic option for you would be a wolf fish. Take a look, they're basically a ferocious log. Your tank would also be great for a polypterus pile tank with a couple of medium sized polys like palmas palmas and maybe an ornate

Reactions: tlindsey

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
I would probably try one of the smaller parachromis species like the red tiger mota. I would try to have a pair, but I know a 6' tank would be preferable. It could work dependent on the males aggression levels though.

Reactions: tlindsey

Carts1234

Feeder Fish
Sep 11, 2019
Thanks for the suggestions guys I’m liking the look of all of them my missus loves oscars would it be a large enough tank for one of these?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store