Stocking with a Green Terror pair

MillerificAquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2019
I have a 75 gallon tank with a Green Terror pair in it. I also have a large common pleco in the tank who I am rehoming soon. I moved recently and I could no longer put the tank in my bedroom, so I am now trying to turn it into a display tank, which unfortunately means I can no longer keep the pleco. The scape simply dosen't work for him. However, I want to put something else in the tank with the pair.

The male green terror is not that much of a jerk compared to most GTs but hes been acting up lately against the female. The female is fine and she is eating very well but she does have a few ripped fins. WHat I have noticed was that, when I had a convict cichlid with them, the pair got along perfectly fine and were best friends. I still have that convict and I'm thinking about moving him back into the tank.

I also would think about doing some other type of south american cichlid or fish, like a severum or a semi-large pleco (maybe 10in). Another plan is to add some type of dither fish, like rainbows or tetras. I'm going to be in that room a lot so I'll have time for lots of water changes if needed. There is going to be a saltwater tank in their soon so I have an obligation to make the tanks in this room look good.

Thank you for your help,
Nolan

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I wouldn't put any other fish with a mated pair in a tank that small. The nipped fins on the female has already illustrated that the tank is even too small for the 2 that you already have.

Reactions: MrsE88 and Jexnell

MillerificAquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2019
I wouldn't put any other fish with a mated pair in a tank that small. The nipped fins on the female has already illustrated that the tank is even too small for the 2 that you already have.
Yeah, been thinking about that for a while. I'm probably going to get rid of my female as well, I'm nor interested in breeding them. They spawned for me once and never have shown any signs of breeding again. Plus, I don't have the equipment required for that. I do not want to get rid of my male, he is a higher end green terror we got from a breeder. Thank you for your response.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Rocksor that a 75 gal is too small for a pair of G.T.s to live in, as adults, and especially to maintain a comfortable pair bond.
Sometimes a target fish ( such as the convict was) is what it takes.
Dither fish, are sometimes ignored, and don't fit the bond creating bill like other cichlids.
But Amazonian species that thrive in soft, pH 5 water from east of the Andes, are really not always a great idea when housed with the more alkaline above 7 pH and above water fish from west of the Andes like G.T.s are.
Aquarium strain sevs might tolerate whatever water you have, but may not quite be as rough and tumble as a convict in such a small tank, where abuse from the alpha G.T. is inevitable.

MillerificAquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2019
I agree with Rocksor that a 75 gal is too small for a pair of G.T.s to live in, as adults, and especially to maintain a comfortable pair bond.
Sometimes a target fish ( such as the convict was) is what it takes.
Dither fish, are sometimes ignored, and don't fit the bond creating bill like other cichlids.
But Amazonian species that thrive in soft, pH 5 water from east of the Andes, are really not always a great idea when housed with the more alkaline above 7 pH and above water fish from west of the Andes like G.T.s are.
Aquarium strain sevs might tolerate whatever water you have, but may not quite be as rough and tumble as a convict in such a small tank, where abuse from the alpha G.T. is inevitable.
As I said, I've had this convict in the tank with this pair before. He's the meanest fish I own, far more than the Green Terror. My GT is a bit of a puppydog to anyone else but the females. He practically ignored the convict as much as he could when they were in the same tank.

I do agree that the more the pair grow, the less compatible they are. My LFS sells massive severums from time to time, so that may work out, but if it doesn't I'd have a backup plan.

And I do agree that I would have a hard time putting in amazonian fish with these guys. I have very hard water that, even after getting a water softener and using pH down that's used for pools, I still can't lower my pH to anything under an 8. I have taken that into consideration.

I'm thinking that a semi-large pleco would work best then and keeping only the male GT. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you very much for your response!

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Its not so much agression level of the gt vs convict. Ive got 3 female cons in with my blue acara pair and just having to keep the convicts in line seems to help my pair stay free of ripped fins. For your gt pair that convict was who the male turned to to vent his "frustrations" or whtever ya want to call the cichlid fits of rage.

Reactions: MillerificAquatics

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree that a shoal of tetras might be the ticket, providing movement in the upper areas of the tank, and if the right size (not so big that they compromise water quality, and not small enough to be eaten) might distract the male enough to keep him busy.
I keep Roeboides tetras, and a couple gobies with my Andinoacara, and they are large enough to create distractions.
fullsizeoutput_1745.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_165c.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store