Stress In Flowerhorn

Barath16_

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2020
It has been a month since I have got his. He had good Red colour. Now he had turned REALLY DARK, I assume it is because for the inappropriate WATER TEMPERATURE.
I have bought a Thermometer from the Local Fish Store and was using it, the water was cold (an approx of 23c or less) I blindly trusted the thermometer which said 30-32C. I believed the Thermometer and thought that he was stressed as the temp was too high for his liking I did everything except for turning on the heater and I continuously tried to bring down to the thermometer reading to 28-29C. Now he seems in some sort of intense stress and I don't know if he is having some other disease due to the bad water temp.

He eats well, he swims well, he is semi-interactive (Not like it used to be before), he Poop is normal (NOT WHITE), His fins and body are unchanged to my knowledge.
I couldn't find any other symptom of any disease.

IMG_3694.JPG

Its is a 70 Gallon Tank with 460L/H, 300W heater(50W in the pic to due to the breaking of the initial 300W), 28C Temp, Barebottom
then was an artificial plant for hiding I have current removed to see if it changes anything.

IMG_3691.JPG

His stress is making me stress like anything, His tank is in my room and I wake up seeing him like this, Want to revert back my mistake
PLEASE HELP

stoned_fish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2013
Ont, Canada
Not sure how powerful the output for the filter in the pic is but if it's too strong it could be stressing him out. I put in a powerhead in my flowerhorns tank and even though at first he looked like he loved it and swam through the current playfully. The next day he was all stressed. I removed it and he went back to his playfully personality within an hour.

Reactions: Barath16_

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Id reduce ur temps down to 26-27 degrees Celsius. Think the fish is darker due to background color and being settled in.

Barath16_

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2020
Id reduce ur temps down to 26-27 degrees Celsius. Think the fish is darker due to background color and being settled in.
Yes... The background was done recently he is adjusting to it pretty well.

Barath16_

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2020
Not sure how powerful the output for the filter in the pic is but if it's too strong it could be stressing him out. I put in a powerhead in my flowerhorns tank and even though at first he looked like he loved it and swam through the current playfully. The next day he was all stressed. I removed it and he went back to his playfully personality within an hour.
Tank is 70gallons/250litre
Int filter flow rate is 1750L/H
He doesn't seem to have any problem wih that...

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Keep tank at 27, lower the light till he settles, having something to hide behind is good idea with flowerhorns but not anything sharp.

Was your tank cycled? With such temperature swings I am not sure if you broke the cycle? Have you tested water recently?

Barath16_

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2020
Keep tank at 27, lower the light till he settles, having something to hide behind is good idea with flowerhorns but not anything sharp.

Was your tank cycled? With such temperature swings I am not sure if you broke the cycle? Have you tested water recently?
It was cycled, but now even I am confused.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store