Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crazyfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
BC, Canada
Yeah I took note of his location which was why I asked how much they cost where he lives.....aside from all that other stuff with the farms and such,or do they not sell them in some stores in his area?...I'm not even interested in black market prices as I do not shop there.
Greens in Canada that retail at LFS's roughly sell for 200-300 CAD. This is estimate price in all Canada.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Just a little more than the price of some leichardti down here.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I never knew why the black aros cost so much more than the silvers but I guess that's a discussion for another thread.

pURPLEcHILLIrED123

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2009
Earth
It all depends on what country you live in. My brother just came back from Malaysia last week. Most expensive Aro's they have there only go for about $1000 and that is the golden head crossback... he say it literally looks like a 24k gold bar. From head to tail is completely gold. Super Red that looks blood red not the reddish-orange is only like $500.

He drove by so many Aro farms on the freeway, about 50 ponds on the side of the freeway all breeding asian aros. He went into 1 fish store and it literally had few hundred baby asian aros that still had the yolk sac.

Obviously there is a lot of competition in the aro game in Malaysia and Singapore because that is where they breed them. In HK there is no one breeding them and the competition is not as great like in Malaysia. $25000 for Super Red in HK and it only cost $500 in Malaysia. There is no way anyone in Malaysia would pay $25000 for asian aro… they would think you are crazy.

Crazyfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
BC, Canada
It all depends on what country you live in. My brother just came back from Malaysia last week. Most expensive Aro's they have there only go for about $1000 and that is the golden head crossback... he say it literally looks like a 24k gold bar. From head to tail is completely gold. Super Red that looks blood red not the reddish-orange is only like $500.

He drove by so many Aro farms on the freeway, about 50 ponds on the side of the freeway all breeding asian aros. He went into 1 fish store and it literally had few hundred baby asian aros that still had the yolk sac.

Obviously there is a lot of competition in the aro game in Malaysia and Singapore because that is where they breed them. In HK there is no one breeding them and the competition is not as great like in Malaysia. $25000 for Super Red in HK and it only cost $500 in Malaysia. There is no way anyone in Malaysia would pay $25000 for asian aro… they would think you are crazy.
I was in HK in Jan of this year. I saw that super red that was selling for $188000 HKD which is roughly $24000 CAD. That super red was over 2ft in size. Yes the price was outrages but their smaller reds was no where near that cost. Most regular reds/super reds at LFS's on fish street were priced at $4888 HKD which is around $625 CAD. There Crossbacks were around $8000-$9000 HKD which is around $1000-$1200 CAD. HK's Aro retail prices is cheaper then Canada's retail prices but not by a whole lot.

LFS's will price a large Asian Aro at any price they want. Even in Calgary AB at a LFS they were selling 2ft Crossbacks and Red Arowana for 30k but no one bought it. They've been sitting at the LFS for over 10 yrs. Those Aros are now just the LFS's display/show tanks.

pURPLEcHILLIrED123

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2009
Earth
I was in HK in Jan of this year. I saw that super red that was selling for $188000 HKD which is roughly $24000 CAD. That super red was over 2ft in size. Yes the price was outrages but their smaller reds was no where near that cost. Most regular reds at LFS's on fish street were priced at $4888 HKD which is around $625 CAD. There Crossbacks were around $8000-$9000 HKD which is around $1000-$1200 CAD. HK's Aro retail prices is cheaper then Canada's retail prices but not by a whole lot.
I know not all aros will cost $188000HKD, but even the nicest of nice in countries that breed them will only cost few thousand, mostly likely they are store display fish and put big number so no one will buy it.

Decent low quality reds that sell for $200-$300 in Malaysia and would be considered a very nice fish on the black market and cost $3000.

Crazyfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
BC, Canada
I know not all aros will cost $188000HKD, but even the nicest of nice in countries that breed them will only cost few thousand.

Decent low quality reds that sell for $200-$300 in Malaysia and would be considered a very nice fish on the black market and cost $3000.
Other countries that don't breed need to make there money so of coz there will be a mark up compared to there origin prices. They need to cover the importing/shipping fee costs too. Ya I can imagine the black market pricing would be hefty.

mitchb

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2011
victoria
Yes that is in Malaysia, but this discussion seems to be more focused on American prices and purchasing so really it is a non-relevant point to this topic unless you are implying that the USA will start to have their own farms and increase the supply which would lower the overall price in the USA.

Also, even though the fish cost 300 over there that does not mean that the landed to your door price will be 200-300, there will always be external factors that affect the cost that there is no way to know about. What if the legalize it and then charge a $1000 import levy, not saying that would happen but just an example.

I personally ordered a green, because it is cheaper than a red, and I know first hand that the price listed from farms is not what the final cost to my tank is so it is always important to remember that those side of the road ponds selling aro's are not the prices that should be expected.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store