Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
Hello,

I've read all the threads on Sumatra vs Borneo in the past & really come away with nothing other than wild adult Datnoid photo comparisons which aren't really beneficial when trying to determine if what I am trying to purchase within the UK Fish Shops at 3-5" is actually Sumatra or Borneo. I've been on the hunt for almost 12months, I keep many different datnoids I'll list; 5NTT, 3AT, 1NGT, 15IT & still not yet to own a Pulcher (the dream!!)

I've been attempting to get my hands on many different Datnoids, specifically Indonesian variants such as Sumatra, Vietnam, Kalimantan & Mekong variants but all I own are what I believe to be Borneos however I've always hit a brick wall when it comes to being offered Sumatra. Vietnam, Kalimantan & Mekong don't bother me yet because I haven't seen them actually hit the UK market, but I am seeing influxes of "Sumatra" hit our market lately, of which I believe many, if not all are fake. I'm very connected with hobbyists & retailers up & down the UK & I see all these arriving, often when I try query them on their choice of labelling the fish as Sumatra I'm just told "They are Sumatra, that's what the list had them listed as" but as I have come to learn many lists contain fakes just to get a little more money out of the retailers & in-turn customers.

So, what are the differences I am too look for? I have a list of differences I've compiled from previous documentation of differences & reading threads, but maybe there are more that actually are proven or work across the board with any size datnoid...

Base Colour
Sumatra - Yellow/ Whitish/ Golden with obvious contrasting dark stripes.
Borneo - Browny/ Bronze base colour on the upper half of the datnoid side.

Stableness
Sumatra - Often always stable.
Borneo - Very unstable.

Spoonhead
Sumatra - Occasional spoon head shape similar to D. Polta sometimes seen in Kalimantan specimens I have come across online.
Borneo - No spoon head on any specimen I've ever seen.

Price Tag (not really applicable)
Sumatra - £75-100+ (of specimens 2-4".)
Borneo - £20-80 (of specimens 2-4".)

Bodyshape
Sumatra - Alongside spoon head (potentially) taller more slender appearance,
Borneo - The normal datnoid shape we all know & love.

Bars
Sumatra - 4 bar, thick at top, thinner at bottom. (unsure if should connect on all 4)
Borneo - 3-4 bar, unique bar, mixed bar, etc (a lot of difference) (seen 1x 5bar specimen, unsymmetrical, not top to bottom but 5 bar markings at the top of the back)

I'd love for someone with more experience to come along and possibly point me in the right direction. I have the video of the latest "Sumatra" I'm being offered alongside likely being able to dig up some previous examples of "Sumatras."

Thank you.

*me & Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 have discussed this extensively in the past be we don't really have a reliable "checklist" for making sure a Datnoid is Sumatra although we have dismissed many specimens in the past that I have been offered.

Reactions: Vancouver_98683

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
I also would like to have some better informations.
The one on the picture was sold to me as Sumatra.
Can anybody confirm this ?

View attachment 1413300

View attachment 1413301
So off what I gathered prior to posting this I would say its a nice Borneo, it has a brownish base colour. But who knows for certain until the post gets more responses/ recognition. Lovely datnoid regardless though, perfect bars that seem to connect underneath too.

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
Thank you.
Maybe some other experts have something to say about the topic.
Could be just a way to get more money from the customer.

Reactions: Jush

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
Thank you.
Maybe some other experts have something to say about the topic.
Could be just a way to get more money from the customer.
It is a proven way to blag more money out of customers, the ones I've been offered are charging 2-5x the price of a Borneo dat the same size just for the Sumatra tag.

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
Yes i know.
I was hoping that the seller is telling the truth because its a reputable shop in the netherlands..
I had bought 5 for around 70 Euro each at 4 Inches.
And i asked if they are real sumatra.
He said yes.
If there is a way to find out the truth would be great!

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
Yes i know.
I was hoping that the seller is telling the truth because its a reputable shop in the netherlands..
I had bought 5 for around 70 Euro each at 4 Inches.
And i asked if they are real sumatra.
He said yes.
If there is a way to find out the truth would be great!
Pictures from his Facebook Account.
My Tigers should be from the same import.
They are highly variable in the colouration .
Sometimes black, sometimes full stable.

View attachment 1413362

View attachment 1413363
Who is the seller? I know of 1 seller in the Netherlands who supplied "Sumatra" to some UK shops that I even viewed myself once landed in the UK & later they turned out to be Borneo in my honest opinion.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store