Sump and Plumbing for my 535. Need help

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Here’s a better pick going into a union ball valve.

View attachment 1306589
That works. Word of caution with that flex line. Make sure you use lots of cement, twist it a full half turn after seating. I would recommend using a towel under it because you will for sure drip everywhere if you solvent weld flex line properly. It takes a bit more than the average fitting.

Reactions: mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
That works. Word of caution with that flex line. Make sure you use lots of cement, twist it a full half turn after seating. I would recommend using a towel under it because you will for sure drip everywhere if you solvent weld flex line properly. It takes a bit more than the average fitting.
Thank you for the heads up. I glued it in with a lot of solvent. I also found a 1” bulkhead and used its gasket. I cut the original one for the 3/4” to fit inside the new gasket. I tightened all the bulkheads go hand tight all the way and then a 1/2 way turn with a wrench.

What worries me is that the gasket in question sort of folds outward. Since the center is pressed in against the acrylic, the outer lips of the gasket protrude. It’s got me worried.

If I somehow manage to end up with no leaks when this baby is filled, that’ll be a miracle. A miracle that I am desperately praying and hoping for.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Thank you for the heads up. I glued it in with a lot of solvent. I also found a 1” bulkhead and used its gasket. I cut the original one for the 3/4” to fit inside the new gasket. I tightened all the bulkheads go hand tight all the way and then a 1/2 way turn with a wrench.

What worries me is that the gasket in question sort of folds outward. Since the center is pressed in against the acrylic, the outer lips of the gasket protrude. It’s got me worried.

If I somehow manage to end up with no leaks when this baby is filled, that’ll be a miracle. A miracle that I am desperately praying and hoping for.
Let me check and see what size I drilled. I thought it was 1.5” but I may be wrong and don’t want you getting wet

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Let me check and see what size I drilled. I thought it was 1.5” but I may be wrong and don’t want you getting wet
Thank you!

If there is an issue, what potential solutions do I have other than cutting it all out and starting over?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Thank you!

If there is an issue, what potential solutions do I have other than cutting it all out and starting over?
So I'm confused here. I pulled the 1 3/4" bit I have and held it to a 3/4 bulkhead fitting. It looks like it would work with the larger diameter gasket. Not being in front of it makes it hard to tell if it's a problem or not. Can you post a pic of the part that is sticking out so we can see how bad it is or isn't?

As far as solutions it's tough. You may be able to put something like a ring of sorts behind the bulkhead flange to increase the diameter. Even something like the acrylic discs I just posted in the 4x4 thread. That might actually work. Let's see how bad it is and go from there.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I did check my thread but didn't use the wrong size bit. Mine was bent from being dropped so it is not the same issue.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I did check my thread but didn't use the wrong size bit. Mine was bent from being dropped so it is not the same issue.
Thank you.

Here are pics. Not sure you can tell from the pics. Wondering if I should do the unthinkable and put some silicone where the nut meets the back paint.

DF215747-74BF-4CC8-8FD6-AC6FE242B69A.jpeg 5C0C4FA6-551F-43FB-90A9-4420546DF7E4.jpeg 96286385-15E8-4D17-A052-BC0F1A6F2240.jpeg

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I don’t think I would be comfortable with that. Maybe somebody else has more experience than I do but that needs more support in my opinion.
That’s what I was afraid of. Do you think at this point I should start over? Put a 1” bulkhead on this hole and just do 3/4’s for the top two.

Sheesh. How expensive one small oversight is from a time and stress perspective.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Is that bulkhead cemented in? It would only be a few bucks to have tap plastics cut a washer out of acrylic. And O shape or if that BH is cemented, a C shape to add material. They usually have a scrap piece that’s cheap and will cut a template you draw. Making a washer would increase the flange size of the bulkhead. The gasket between the wash and tank. Have a look into shadow overflows it’s a similar concept with the pass through of a gasket with three surface plates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store