Sunny D.

ydnim

Exodon
MFK Member
May 24, 2020
I ended up buying my first tank-mate today ? He is an "Assorted African Cichlid" -- which to be honest, I hate that certain stores cannot give you more information on the "type" than that... I have decided to name him Sunny D and he is currently acclimating through a cool little gadget I found on Amazon called "Innovative Martine Accudrip Acclimator"

*I've included 2 photos of my new guy in his isolation bucket. One of them is very blurry but it was a nice angle so I kept it. The other shows his true color which is a remarkable solid yellowish-orange... hence... Sunny D.

It never occurred to me that you are only acclimating the temperature when you have the bags sit in the tank for 15 minutes or so. It makes so much sense to use this tool to avoid "New Tank Syndrome" and other shocks of the change that can stress out our little friends. The setup was really easy, literally 1,2,3...
1. Insert the rigid J-Tube end in your aquarium
2. Place the other end of the line into the container with the new fish and their water content
3. Squeeze the siphon/drip chamber

It recommends letting it drip 2-4 seconds for Cichlids until the water is at least 3x's more. So far it is working great and I am considering purchasing a few more before the rest of the tribe arrives!

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 4.19.10 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Yuki-Rihwa

DwarfCichlidLvr

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020
The color of your text is impossible to read.
Can you please fix that? Thanks. :)

Reactions: deeda

ydnim

Exodon
MFK Member
May 24, 2020
The color of your text is impossible to read.
Can you please fix that? Thanks. :)
I've changed the Text Color from gray back to white, please let me know if it still needs to be altered & thanks so much for the heads up! ?

DwarfCichlidLvr

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020
I've changed the Text Color from gray back to white, please let me know if it still needs to be altered & thanks so much for the heads up! ?
I would change it to blue or something because I use light mode where the background is white so it's impossible to read.
however I can read that just fine. It is black.

Yuki-Rihwa

Candiru
MFK Member
May 23, 2020
A Place On Earth
Very nice but overkill acclimation method...at least for this freshwater species hehehe. :thumbsup:
I'm only do that kind of acclimation for Saltwater Species (Corals and Clams) which a lot more sensitive to water parameter change.

ydnim

Exodon
MFK Member
May 24, 2020
Very nice but overkill acclimation method...at least for this freshwater species hehehe. :thumbsup:
I'm only do that kind of acclimation for Saltwater Species (Corals and Clams) which a lot more sensitive to water parameter change.

I can see where you are coming from, but African Cichlids are not truly fresh water as they are Tropical and still have varying acclimations to go through with the pH ranges. It may be an overkill, but I rather play it safe on my investments ?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Drip acclimation is actually one of the best types of acclimation you can do for a fish. It helps reduce stress and the risk of shock to their systems. Just because it's freshwater doesn't mean we don't have delicate fish/other species. Whenever I get an angelfish I always drip acclimate just because most of my lfs' have allot lower PH then I do, (7.6-7.8lfs)(8.6-9for my own city water). If I don't do drip acclimation all I end up with is a dead fish within the first couple of days, which is never fun.

Lol it may seem like overkill but it's worth it to keep the fish/other species alive and well. I used to do the whole "just set the bag in the tank" method and I lost far more fish then I have when I started drip acclimating. I will agree that saltwater can be a lil trickier sometimes but even in fresh water we still have allot of fish/other species that are very delicate to changes in their environment.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Won't have any effect on "New Tank Syndrome" That's ammonia build up due to a new uncycled tank. Not shock due to poor acclimation.
I will agree with ya on the fact that using a drip acclimation system won't cure new tank syndrome. But I won't agree that ammonia is the only cause of new tank syndrome. New tank syndrome will happen regardless of tank parameter changes, new tank syndrome (as far as I know) is strictly from moving from one tank to another. Granted I will agree tho that if a tank is uncycled that it makes the process of a fish properly acclimating extremely hard on the fish itself. But atleast doing a drip acclimation does help the fish in the long run to be able to handle it as much as it possibly can. Not saying I condone dropping a fish into an uncycled tank but atleast if you drip acclimate it's giving the fish the best chance it possibly could have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store