Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Personally I would start with one trait first. Breed them till they are roughly F3-4 and then start working on the secondary trait. Ik allot of ppl don't like to do this but you'll want to inbreed for a couple generations to help strengthen desired traits to their maximum before adding in new Gene's/DNA. It's allot of work and culling to get the desired results but it is a very interest and rewarding aspect once done right. Ik if the OP ever ends up with his desired fish in the end I would love to have one more 2 of my own. Wish more ppl would ambitiously persue hybrids like this.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
A lot of people view hybrids as abominations and despise people who create them either on purpose or by "accident". There are a lot of purests so to say. I don't care either way tbh. I do think flower horns are ugly personally, I really don't like short bodied anythings, and I've only seen 1 "balloon" fish I didn't hate. But ebjds I like not sure 100% if that's a hybrid or just purposefully line bred to be that color. I'm sure their may be a few hybrids I like and may not even know it. Like I said I'm not against it. Lots of African cichlids become hybrids and unless you are really good with telling what they truly are you may end up with some. And if you mix males and females of various types most will hybridize, happened to me when I was young those darn yellow labs will spawn with anything.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
A lot of people view hybrids as abominations and despise people who create them either on purpose or by "accident". There are a lot of purests so to say. I don't care either way tbh. I do think flower horns are ugly personally, I really don't like short bodied anythings, and I've only seen 1 "balloon" fish I didn't hate. But ebjds I like not sure 100% if that's a hybrid or just purposefully line bred to be that color. I'm sure their may be a few hybrids I like and may not even know it. Like I said I'm not against it. Lots of African cichlids become hybrids and unless you are really good with telling what they truly are you may end up with some. And if you mix males and females of various types most will hybridize, happened to me when I was young those darn yellow labs will spawn with anything.
Yeah ik some hybrids don't end up looking very nice but on the other side of the coin there are some hybrids that end up just drop dead gorgeous. I understand allot of people's views on hybrids and support some to a certain degree. Personally I think hybrids could become amazing if done right but there are allot of ppl who either knowingly or unknowingly sell hybrids as pure species which I don't support. If a hybrid is sold purposely as a hybrid and labeled as such then I see there being no problem with it. Granted it would be nice to have more then just a few handfuls of hybrid species to choose from if one so wishes to buy one.

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Yeah ik some hybrids don't end up looking very nice but on the other side of the coin there are some hybrids that end up just drop dead gorgeous. I understand allot of people's views on hybrids and support some to a certain degree. Personally I think hybrids could become amazing if done right but there are allot of ppl who either knowingly or unknowingly sell hybrids as pure species which I don't support. If a hybrid is sold purposely as a hybrid and labeled as such then I see there being no problem with it. Granted it would be nice to have more then just a few handfuls of hybrid species to choose from if one so wishes to buy one.
Like I said I'm not against them. I have seen flower horns that I think are pretty/ awesome coloration. I dislike bubble heads on fish though I think it looks stupid, and I detest the trying to make it larger arguments that go along with flowerhorns.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Like I said I'm not against them. I have seen flower horns that I think are pretty/ awesome coloration. I dislike bubble heads on fish though I think it looks stupid, and I detest the trying to make it larger arguments that go along with flowerhorns.
Yeah the big head is what got me into keeping them a few years back but I've been slowly getting away from that aspect. I'm more interested in personality and color now as I realized with my old male that if their kok is too big it causes allot of problems for them, especially when it comes to feeding. Granted allot of hybids tend to have some problem or another like with blood parrots and how their head looks like it was just glued to a balloon or like with red texas and how most tend to be pcycopaths.

Natediesel69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2021
" I realized with my old male that if their kok is too big it causes allot of problems for them" (from Magnus Bane's post). Call me a child but I lol'ed.
Also as others have said any update? You got all the fry right, so what's been goin on??!

christiany99

Gambusia
Aug 6, 2013
California 92679
I’ve got 10 Jags, 10 RT, and 10 RTM coming in the next 2 week. I also know a guy with all 3 that is expecting fry any time now, from all 3. That will be 2 different lines of DNA, so I can eventually breed 2 separate F1 lines together.
This will take a while, so if you get the chance for some fry let me know lol
I’m looking for Red Terror females?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store