Surface dweller stocking

Greenboy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2017
Derbyshire, UK
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a surface dwelling fish for a 4ft 120gal(ish) aquarium.
It's stocked with your basic amazon community at the moment, the biggest and nastiest fish in there are a couple of adult angel fish.
Currently i have hatchet fish, but I'm planning on moving them elsewhere due to predatory behaviour from the angels, which has reduced my hatchet school of 12 down to 6.

I've considered some rainbow fish species and African butterfly fish, but neither are really what i want... I've also looked at some cool clouded archers too, but they seem a social fish and a bunch of those probably wouldn't be appropriate for a tank of this size. I'm not fussed about locality, i just want whatever fish i choose to be safe from angelfish harassment. Ideally id like a something a little more aggressive in terms of feeding than my hatchets, who seem to be quite passive (they do eat, but are just a tad passive compared to the other inhabitants of the tank). I'm looking for an active fish (or school of fish) that will mostly frequent the top 10-20% of the water column.

Any ideas?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Perhaps a halfbeak will suit your needs?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Ive always been interested in triport hatchets, triportheus angulatus. They grow bigger than your average hatchet. Very active surface dwelling characin.

Theres also the different varieties of chalceus, but i wouldnt recommend them for anything less than a 6' tank due to their size and skittishness.

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
Personally I love half beaks but they don't grow that big I thought.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Ive always been interested in triport hatchets, triportheus angulatus. They grow bigger than your average hatchet. Very active surface dwelling characin.

Theres also the different varieties of chalceus, but i wouldnt recommend them for anything less than a 6' tank due to their size and skittishness.
Triports are nice. Will take up the upper and predominant middle zones for sure. Need a big tank swimming space and width needs to be kept in mind. A group it’s very active but wouldn’t recommend for a 120g.

Hujeta gars, red tail cudas with the stripes, halfbeaks and hatchet fish maybe the only option. I have a feeling the angles my nip on the smaller fish.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Greenboy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2017
Derbyshire, UK
Thanks all for the recommendations, i never considered halfbeaks and i didn't know Triportheus angulatus were even a thing. If i could get my hands on a smaller barracuda (like Acestrorhynchus isalineae) I'd be thrilled. I've also considered Golden wonder killis, but i have kept these before and they behave in the same way you folks have described Huejta gar.

Sadly, most of these less common options mentioned are probably going to be unattainable, simply due to the number of quality fish stores near me, which is just one. You never know though. Ordering online in the UK is a new concept and generally only quite common fish are available, but i'll do some digging and see of there's anything cool out there as well.

I'm thinking I'll do some halfbeak research, i know of only two species that are available in the aquarium trade (at least round here) which are the Wrestling and the Celebes. I think the Celebes might get to about 10cm/4" but reports are varied. They should be safe from the angels at that size, but time will tell. I really do like the look of those small cudas tho....

I am still open to further suggestions and such.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store