Switching the food your fish eat

DamienGT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2020
So I normally feed my jag a variety of foods like northfin, omega one etc. Then i decided to try a bag of fluval bug bites cause of the large sized pellets. Fed it to him for about a week without switching it up, and now he won't take in anything else. I tried getting NLS won't take that either, he even stopped eating krill and talapia! So now I'm trying to starve him from the bug bites and were on day 7 and still not eating a damn thing. Any advice on getting him to take in other foods? Or info on bug bites and how healthy it would be to only feed him that.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I normally feed my jag a variety of foods like northfin, omega one etc. Then i decided to try a bag of fluval bug bites cause of the large sized pellets. Fed it to him for about a week without switching it up, and now he won't take in anything else. I tried getting NLS won't take that either, he even stopped eating krill and talapia! So now I'm trying to starve him from the bug bites and were on day 7 and still not eating a damn thing. Any advice on getting him to take in other foods? Or info on bug bites and how healthy it would be to only feed him that.
[/QUOfluval

I suggest just wait it out but don't feed the fluval bug bites anymore. Ttheyariety of the other foods are definitely better. I feed my fish the bug bites but they eat other foods with no problems.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
There's a thread discussing bug bites that seemed to conclude that the fat content is too high and there is more filler in it (that's compared to Northfin bug pro, which has better ingredients and also uses black soldier fly larvae). I know aquarium coop has promoted the food and I've used it in the last but now I've switched to Bug pro from Northfin (but I haven't actually opened my jar bc I'm finishing other foods).

Edit: thread links

Here's a post from RD:

This is another thread with links to two others threads discussing the product in obs of the early posts:

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Here are the ingredients lists for both Northfin And Fluval. You can see how Northfin had better ingredients:

North Fin Bug pro:

Black Soldier Fly Larvae Meal, Whole Antarctic Krill Meal (Euphausia Superba), High DHA Omega-3 Whole Herring Meal, Whole Sardine Meal, Wheat Flour, Organic Kelp (Laminariales), Spirulina, Garlic (Allium Sativum), Astaxanthin, Montmorillonite Clay, Vitamin A Acetate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Cholecalciferol, Alpha-tocopherol Acetate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Thiamine, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Sulfate Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Selenium, Zinc, Rosemary Extract (Rosmarinus Officinalis)

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (Min) : 44%
Crude Fat (Min): 5%
Crude Fiber (Max): 4%
Moisture (Max): 9%
Ash (Max): 12%

Fluval Bug bites:
Ingredients: Dried black soldier fly larve, salmon, fish protein concentrate, green peas, potato, wheat, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, DL-methionine, lecithin, choline chloride, L-lysine, vitamin E supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium L-ascorbyl-2-monophoshate, calendula, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12 supplement, beta-carotene, rosemary extract, riboflavin, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, inositol, folic acid, vitamin A supplement, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, vitamin D3 supplement

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude proteinmin 40.0%
Crude fatmin 12.5%
Crude fibermax 5.0%
Moisturemax 10.0%
Ashmax 9.0%
Lysinemin 2.2%
Methioninemin 1.0%
Calciummin 1.50%
Phosphorus min 0.80%
Vitamin Amin 2,500 IU/kg
Vitamin D3min 2,400 IU/kg
Vitamin Emin 75 IU

Reactions: tlindsey

DamienGT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2020
I think I'll try that but the largest pellet size is only 2mm and my jag is like 11 inches, most of the time small food is dropped him he completely ignores it

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Just a thought, what if you tricked him into eating better foods by mixing it into his current diet and see if it cares. I’m not sure if it would work, but is worth a try.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store