TaILless platy

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Today I noticed that my biggest platy has almost all of his tail missing and I'm not sure what could have done it, I have around a 2 inch opaline female gourami and 2 small rose lines that have been in there for almost a week and a small around 1 inch striped raphael catfish that I put in 2 days ago, all the other platies (15 ish total) don't have any nips at all so it's just kinda weird. Most if not all platies will be gone in a week or 2 but I still don't want aggression in my tank if I choose to add smaller schooling fish. IF you have any idea who the culprit is any suggestions would be great! I was thinking if it's the gourami maybe add a slightly more aggressive fish to make the gourami back down?

20161027_205542.jpg

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
we used to get those gouramis donated at our store all the time because they were too aggressive for people community tanks.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Would a gold gourami be better? Or is there anything I could add to calm it down now?

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
ime the blue gourami are the worst. but the gold ones can be pretty nasty too. honestly, if one or both of them are already harassing the fish, id remove them. we called them "tank killers" because of how often they'd get donated to us.
pearl gourami are way more docile. i think they're prettier too.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Yeah, I've owned some pretty agressive gourami. I do think the females seem to be less scrappy.I do agree with ehh ehh the pearls are usually friendlier

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Agreed with all statements, as far as "peaceful" community fish go Gourami's can be stone cold killers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store