skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Ok. So, I will start feeding them less.

And getting rid of the common pleco? I giving up on my commitments, but I understand that it has to be done. I don’t want to kill it wastefully, and I doubt my cat would want to eat a fish that small and that armored. How do i rehome it? Craigslist?

I also have a second smaller sun cat in my bros tank while I get my tank sorted out. But, seeing as every fish is even dirtier than I thought they would be, I’m gonna her to rehome him too. How do I do that then?
Hello; Ask local fish shops. They may take the fish but probably will not pay you anything. Check to see if there are any fish clubs in your area.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I giving up on my commitments, but I understand that it has to be done. I don’t want to kill it wastefully
Yes, I understand and respect that. I've kept some fish, or kept them longer than I'd have preferred, for similar reasons. Craigslist is a possibility. If it was me, I'd first try trading him (or giving him) back to a pet store, mainly because it would be a quicker solution (different approach than if I've got expensive fish that I want to get better value for). Some fish stores readily trade fish, some not so much but explaining your tank repair/small tank emergency might get them to help you out.

I also have a second smaller sun cat in my bros tank while I get my tank sorted out. But, seeing as every fish is even dirtier than I thought they would be, I’m gonna her to rehome him too. How do I do that then?
Yes, great fish for the right person and tank. Get big, eat a lot, grow fast, needs a big tank and good filtration, etc. Impressive in a group in a big tank. Not a good thing if it's not what you bargained for or wanted to dedicate tank space to keeping. I'd suggest the same thing as above if it's not something you'll have room for. Depending on your location, you might also be able to list it here and find someone interested.

Reactions: Zak03

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
Yes, I understand and respect that. I've kept some fish, or kept them longer than I'd have preferred, for similar reasons. Craigslist is a possibility. If it was me, I'd first try trading him (or giving him) back to a pet store, mainly because it would be a quicker solution (different approach than if I've got expensive fish that I want to get better value for). Some fish stores readily trade fish, some not so much but explaining your tank repair/small tank emergency might get them to help you out.

Yes, great fish for the right person and tank. Get big, eat a lot, grow fast, needs a big tank and good filtration, etc. Impressive in a group in a big tank. Not a good thing if it's not what you bargained for or wanted to dedicate tank space to keeping. I'd suggest the same thing as above if it's not something you'll have room for. Depending on your location, you might also be able to list it here and find someone interested.
Thank you

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Fish clubs? What exactly is that, and how do I look for them?
Hello; I am not a member of one but from reading I think they are a group of fish keepers in an area who form a club. Not any around me so I cannot say from experience. Lets hope someone can give you better information.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
You're near LA? http://fins.actwin.com/dir/clubs.php?c=1&r=65

If you are going to advertise the sun cats for sale I'd suggest reading up a little bit on them (if you're not already familiar with them). Also check some photos, or better yet view a couple of videos of them in a tank. Would help you describe and explain them to someone who may not already know a lot about them. They're cute when small but can turn into beauties for the right person. ...who knows, after a video or two you may decide you want to keep him :)

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Facebook is a good place to look for fish clubs/groups. Even a google search should turn up some results.

Till you get them in a bigger tank/rehome them throw some pothos in. Just have the roots hang down into the tank or in a hob filter. You’ll get the benefits from having plants without having something submerged that the fish can make a mess with.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Since it says you are from the PNW ... Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver BC all have active fish clubs to check out. They have meetings, guest speakers, auctions and often discounts at area pet stores.

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
Since it says you are from the PNW ... Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver BC all have active fish clubs to check out. They have meetings, guest speakers, auctions and often discounts at area pet stores.
Yea, I found one in Portland. It looks much bigger and complex than what i imagined a fish club to be

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store