aes1687

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2018
Indonesia - California
Hi guys, new MFK member here. Just wanted to see your thoughts.
I have a 9 inch Salton Catfish right now, and im thinking of making a new home for him and some other fish. Would a 2000 gallon tank be too big for him? Is it Bad if a fish has too much space?

FYI, with him i might put some other fish so he wont be alone, but all of them will be under 10inches. would they be too small?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Good size tank if solo. Think viktor thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter has one in his 4500g. See what he recommends

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Don't these guys get to like 6-8 feet long? I wouldn't be worried about the tank being too big for a fish like that. As a small fish you might have challenges with him finding food in a tank that size. But once he's a monster he's gonna need the space.

aes1687

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2018
Indonesia - California
Don't these guys get to like 6-8 feet long? I wouldn't be worried about the tank being too big for a fish like that. As a small fish you might have challenges with him finding food in a tank that size. But once he's a monster he's gonna need the space.
Yeah they do but should i start him with a huge home or gradually move him to bigger homes over time as he grows?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would say that a 9 inch fish would most likely be completely lost in a 2000 gallon tank. Others may disagree, but personally I would start him in something smaller like in the 100-200 gallon range and move him up when he gets bigger.

Reactions: tlindsey

aes1687

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2018
Indonesia - California
I would say that a 9 inch fish would most likely be completely lost in a 2000 gallon tank. Others may disagree, but personally I would start him in something smaller like in the 100-200 gallon range and move him up when he gets bigger.
Yeah thats what I'm doing right now. I just wanted to know if there will be any side effects of putting him in a large home. I was thinking of putting some stingrays, thinbars, widebars, and some peacock bass in it with him to make a community but wasnt sure if it'll be a good idea since they're all still small.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I think you're overthinking it. Fish constantly scavenge anyway. Even if they didn't learn your feeding routine to come to the front of the tank when you feed, which they will, they'll find any food that they miss eventually. They'll probably grow better too with so much room and the likely better water quality.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hi guys, new MFK member here. Just wanted to see your thoughts.
I have a 9 inch Salton Catfish right now, and im thinking of making a new home for him and some other fish. Would a 2000 gallon tank be too big for him? Is it Bad if a fish has too much space?

FYI, with him i might put some other fish so he wont be alone, but all of them will be under 10inches. would they be too small?
Welcome to the MFK!

There is no such thing as too big a tank for any fish, I believe. Now details may matter, there may be exceptions, especially when training a baby fish to recognize new feeds that are foreign for it. This is better done in a smaller tank where the fish often bumps into the new feeds being offered. Examples involve yolk-sack arowana babies and baby tigrinus catfish.

Salton catfish aka false piraiba catfish or Brachyplatystoma capapretum are exceedingly timid fish and any bullying or harassment by tank mates can stop it from feeding well or even feeding at all. It panics and runs full speed away until it hits a wall or a cover. Eventually its snout turns down from many of such hits or it kills itself.

On the other hand, when very large, at 3' or bigger, it can prey on 10" tank mates easily, I imagine.

Here is a video of one of my two saltons at ~20" in 240 gal. Note the downturned snout:

Here is my thread on these fish:

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...apapretum-10-in-4500-gal.680760/#post-7656411

Alright thanks. I just heard somewhere that if the tank is too big its not good for the fish. Especially for arowana.
Details matter. I don't see any other reason except training babies to recognize new feed.

These are false piraiba that appear not to exceed 4' in the wild.

Yeah they do but should i start him with a huge home or gradually move him to bigger homes over time as he grows?
There are very, very few people, I've heard of one or two MFKers, who start out baby or juvi fish in its forever tank, but there are definite advantages to it - less chance of damaging or sickening it or killing it during rehomings. Many rehomings in communities don't go as planned.

The reason people, myself included, do it stepwise with growout tanks is because we either don't have a forever tank for it ready, or if we do, there reside adult fish that would eat it.

Yeah thats what I'm doing right now. I just wanted to know if there will be any side effects of putting him in a large home. I was thinking of putting some stingrays, thinbars, widebars, and some peacock bass in it with him to make a community but wasnt sure if it'll be a good idea since they're all still small.
TBH, I don't know predatory they can be with smallish tank mates because mine has always been stressed in large tanks with many tank mates. I had to pull it out of 4500 gal due to bad bullying / test-tasting by tank mates. If I had to guess, I'd think it is not too bad and would only endanger the tank mates that it can very easily catch and swallow.

Lastly, this is wrong section. This thread belongs in the Catfish section. I will ask a Mod to relocate it there.

Last edited:

aes1687

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2018
Indonesia - California
Sorry about the wrong section hahaha. I kept mine since he was 3 inches about half a year go and now he's 8 inches. Never seen him panic or get shocked when I went near the tank. His snout still straight hahaha. He was always calm and not active. Never actually get to see him eat. Only see all his food gone and a huge belly XD. For his tank mates I'm planning on keeping him with other fish that can grow big too. Pbass and schomburgkii etc. One thing thats a concern for me is that he's still on live food, if he's in such a big space it might be harder to catch his live food, yet its also kind of a more natural environment where he has to hunt for food. Maybe I should plan the move once he can go on frozen food?

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store