Tank stocking large cichlids

Alexander342

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2017
New Zealand
Is it possible to house a jag, two oscars and two green terrors in a nearly 8ft 600L tank with 1000L of filtration and using dividers at first to lower aggression?

I've heard you can have an oscar in a 75g and then for every other oscar you only need an extra 30g with good filtration and regular maintenance?

Last edited:

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
600Liters is about 160 gallons, If it's 8' long it would have to be pretty skinny. I'd say you would be better off without the Jag, replace that with a fish that doesn't get as long and is a bit more peaceful. Chocolate cichlids come to mind. Then you should be okay

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Alexander342

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2017
New Zealand
600Liters is about 160 gallons, If it's 8' long it would have to be pretty skinny. I'd say you would be better off without the Jag, replace that with a fish that doesn't get as long and is a bit more peaceful. Chocolate cichlids come to mind. Then you should be okay
Good point, jags in aquariums only get about 40cm long where as in the wild they get to about 60 unless they are in a massive aquarium don't they? But if he's 40cm long and the aquarium is 50 wide then I suppose he would feel a bit cramped wouldn't he

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
The thing about jags is that they are like bulldogs. If they are in a smaller tank, they will be a lot more aggressive because they feel like they need to defend their space. Give them a big enough tank and they tend to mellow out and accept tankmates more readily.

Alexander342

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2017
New Zealand
The thing about jags is that they are like bulldogs. If they are in a smaller tank, they will be a lot more aggressive because they feel like they need to defend their space. Give them a big enough tank and they tend to mellow out and accept tankmates more readily.
Just thought it would be alright since it's 7.87 feet long but guess it could do with being wider. Oh well still learning, I've only kept fish for around a year now but they're very playful and healthy and active so I can't be doing too badly and I'm glad I found this site for those questions you can't find on Google also I need to read more books on cichlids that should help too.

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
Just thought it would be alright since it's 7.87 feet long but guess it could do with being wider. Oh well still learning, I've only kept fish for around a year now but they're very playful and healthy and active so I can't be doing too badly and I'm glad I found this site for those questions you can't find on Google also I need to read more books on cichlids that should help too.
You can still try it, and it may work if raising them from a young age together. Just be sure to be ready to move fish around if things turn sour.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Sounds like your doing it right man, trying to learn and become informed about the fish. Books are great source of knowledge although they tend to be generalized and some become outdated quickly. The internet is great, and forums especially, but everyone has different opinions online, so can be a bit confusing. The best thing to do is gather as much info from various sources that you can, and then piece together your own fishkeeping philosophy. As long as the fish are healthy and happy, your way of keeping fish can be different from someone else's.
And just a suggestion- look up Parachromis Loiellei. They are smaller and less aggressive than jaguars, but in the same family and similar in appearance.

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store