Tankmates for 3 Senegalus

superbuddha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
I'm sure this is a semi common topic but i'd love to here what everyone thinks

I have mostly finished setting up my 75 gal planted tank. My 3 Senegalus will soon be home sweet home. 1 male and 2 females between 7 and 10 inches.

Is my tank size ok? atleast until the possible ghost knife gets huge, which from what I understand takes a very long time.

Tankmates I am considering at the moment -- 2 Black Ghost Knife, 1 Striped Raphael Cat, 1 Rope Fish, 2 or 3 Clown Loaches ( or Botia Loaches but I've heard that's not a good idea), 2 or 3 Raindbow Sharks and possibly 2 adult Siamese Algae Eaters (might be a terrible idea). They will not all be added at once of course but so far that is the plan.

Opinions/Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Pictures soon.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Tank mates requirements are pretty simple for bichirs. If the bichir can't eat it, it can't eat the bichir, and it won't be aggressive towards the bichir, also if it fits in the tank. As far as ropefish, they like to be in groups so 3-4 would be a better number (still doable with your tank size).

Reactions: tlindsey

superbuddha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
I really like catfish, are there any other interesting species I should consider that will not get to large, others than pictus

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
Raphael's you won't see much off, as they are nocturnal, and will be out of sight most of the day. I have 6 poly's with clowns, Synodontis, clown knife, some cichlids, SAE's, and ropes without problems, in a 500g though

superbuddha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
I'm not against the synodontis but I've heard they can be troublesome sucking the slime coat off the polys

500gal wow! I think that's more than I want to deal with, but sounds awesome.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I really like catfish, are there any other interesting species I should consider that will not get to large, others than pictus
I have a large brown hoplo cat. Super active cat that is always out and about and peaceful with my bichirs and other fish. They get about 6" and have a small mouth so most tankmates are safe.

Reactions: superbuddha

superbuddha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Sounds like a great addition, I'll have to hunt around and try to find one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store