Texas Cichlid Hybrids What to expect.

Jaxson_Beans

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2020
Depending on What you're pairing to you're Texas you're gonna get different results but here's a couple of things to expect whne breeding them as hybrids.
1) A beefier Body, it seems to me that no matter what I've breed to they just come out as chonks
2) Pearls, now depending on the mate the pearls may come through or may not at all.
3) this may just be my experience but all my Texas hybrids seemed to have a heightened aggression then both counter part species.
Below Ive bost baby photos of (rainbow X texas), (convict X texas), and (texas X salvini) As well as some adult counter parts
format for () i used ( female X male) if you're curious on the parents.

AA394995-9EFD-4C1F-B4B3-AFE3E5FEC860.JPEG

IMG_3196.jpg

IMG_4935.jpg

2B063CA0-347E-4078-9781-9C1BC4F9AFE9.JPG

IMG_6432.PNG

Reactions: AsmK and Deadeye

sarmatian07

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2020
Were these crosses spontaneous or did you have a specific goal in mind? Let's say you wanted to get a Texas hybrid with the characteristics you need. You might be interested in the Festae x Texas Cichlid cross.

Jaxson_Beans

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2020
Were these crosses spontaneous or did you have a specific goal in mind? Let's say you wanted to get a Texas hybrid with the characteristics you need. You might be interested in the Festae x Texas Cichlid cross.
they were all done on purpose. Texas con was my first hybrid just to see if I could do it and how complicated it was. Salvini Texas was done for color and thought possibly pearls. But that was a let down. The rainbow Texas I thought was gonna have a micro ammount of pearls with the color but has so far exceeded all my expectations. The festae X Texas cross could be cool I’ve seen Mayan X Texas around me and those are nice so since festae imo is a better version of Mayan I could see those coming out nicely… or they could come out like a giant turd it’s hybrids unpredictable.

Jaxson_Beans

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2020
I kept a Texas Hybrid for several years. It was sold as a Red Texas, but didn't fade.
He was a good ten inches when I traded him & had grown a nice set of teeth. My guess is a Texas × Midas cross.
He regularly bit my hand during weekly maintenance. Lol.
View attachment 1492959
Beautiful hybrid from the pearling amount and shape he’s probably a unfaded Red Texas project but non the less a beautiful beast

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
Depending on What you're pairing to you're Texas you're gonna get different results but here's a couple of things to expect whne breeding them as hybrids.
1) A beefier Body, it seems to me that no matter what I've breed to they just come out as chonks
2) Pearls, now depending on the mate the pearls may come through or may not at all.
3) this may just be my experience but all my Texas hybrids seemed to have a heightened aggression then both counter part species.
Below Ive bost baby photos of (rainbow X texas), (convict X texas), and (texas X salvini) As well as some adult counter parts
format for () i used ( female X male) if you're curious on the parents.

View attachment 1492842

View attachment 1492843

View attachment 1492844

View attachment 1492845

View attachment 1492846
I was curious if any of the males would be fertile, I know most females I've had were able to breed.

Jaxson_Beans

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2020
I was curious if any of the males would be fertile, I know most females I've had were able to breed.
Haven’t even tested any males yet. I actually have the male Salvini X Texas I posted yesterday in my 40 working on pairing to my fenstrata catemaco. She lays about every 12 days so let’s we how fast I can get a spawn going and test out fertility.

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
Haven’t even tested any males yet. I actually have the male Salvini X Texas I posted yesterday in my 40 working on pairing to my fenstrata catemaco. She lays about every 12 days so let’s we how fast I can get a spawn going and test out fertility.
I just lost my female Texas convict, she jumped out. Felt bad however I do have a male that I wanted to try. I was going to see what results were between them rather than go back to either parent species. I may try with either Jack or HRP.

Jaxson_Beans

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2020
I just lost my female Texas convict, she jumped out. Felt bad however I do have a male that I wanted to try. I was going to see what results were between them rather than go back to either parent species. I may try with either Jack or HRP.
I’d shoot for jack chase after the pearls. I’m sure if the hrp is bred in it’ll just be a bulky con hybrid

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
I was thinking Jack too for exact reason. The reason for HRP was to try for more blue but good chance it might just be washed out convict style fish. I also have female Texas and also carpintis. First I have to see if he is fertile or not.

Reactions: Jaxson_Beans
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store