The case of missing frontosa

Cichlid_freak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2015
India
Hi,

I have a 55g gallon tank with 4 small fronts, a 4 inch red tail catfish, a tiger barb and a red tail black shark. Some days back , I added a 3/4 inch black ghost knife fish, two red tail botias and a couple of goldfish. Okay, I admit this is quite quite overstocked and I will take all the criticism for it.

However, there was no aggression issue at any point or any sign of stress. Yesterday, woke up to find that both the botias and one frontosa has simply disappeared. Without any trace. I spent considerable time searching for them without any luck. This is particularly alarming considering the fact that though the botias are fond of hiding my fronts are quite social and doesn't hide, let alone for a long time. Before I decide to empty the tank to search for the missing fish, can you suggest what could have gone wrong?

I understand that RTC can eat smaller fish but the fronts and the RTC are almost the same size. I have also heard that black ghost knife can kill other fish and eat all the flesh. But that of a cichlid of the same size? And the botias? They being hiding for a couple of days at a stretch is very very unusual.

I am new to this hobby (6 months approx) but none of my fishes have ever died. Feeling pretty low.

Here is a pic of my tank:

Mons_Done_original_2.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Did you notice a bulge in the belly of the RTC?

Cichlid_freak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2015
India
The RTC remains hidden most of the time. All I get to see is his long whiskers and tail. But nope, I don't remember any bulge in his belly. But could he possibly eat all the three fish?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Given the size of the cat I doubt it could have eaten all three of the missing fish but it probably ate one of them...Interesting mix of fish by the way;I have never seen rtc kept with African cichlids.

Cichlid_freak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2015
India
I have never heard of such a set up myself. Just wanted to try and see if it worked. And it worked great till three of them went missing. I was very fond of all the fish, particularly the fronts, given how well they were suited to community tank. Would hate empty the fish tank. I like the current set up :(

Cichlid_freak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2015
India
I had plans to rehome the RTC but since it is reasonably small now, I thought it would be fine. Still not sure if it is to be blamed for the missing fish.

Cichlid_freak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2015
India
poppalina poppalina Yes, I did check. They certainly didn't jump. Also, the tank is hooded in such a way that even if they jumped they could not possibly get out of the tank. Once I had an elephant nose which jumped out of the tank (fortunately I was around and put it immediately back in the tank) so I took special care about this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store