The Development of Andinoacara Rivulatus (white & gold saum)

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
They are looking good.
Your male looks so red! I keep waiting to see if Oliver will go red, but now that he’s a year old and still orange I don’t think that will ever change.

As far as the fry size goes I think they are growing about the same as mine did. I started selling at almost 3months old and they were 1 1/2” -2”. They were just getting their seam color in. The dominant males always got their color first.

Yours look like great eaters!

Reactions: Jexnell and Spence

Spence

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2015
MA
His color comes and goes. He colors up as soon as the last fry disappears from the tank, and is pursuing the female again. It's the only time he's the tank boss as she runs the show most of the time. You can see all the scars he has from the regular beatings he takes when the female is preparing to lay her eggs. She is incredibly vicious at that time.

As for the fry they don't ever let a speck of food touch the gravel. But I'm starting to have a bit of trouble keeping ammonia down in the 29 gallon. Didn't expect trouble until they were bigger than this. I started moving to 50% water changes every 2nd day now (I was doing 50% twice a week).

Reactions: Jexnell

Spence

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2015
MA
Just about 3 months here and starting to get some color on the seams. On the ones where it is visible, it seems most have the orange seam. I only see maybe 1 with the silver seam, but that may be because the orange really stands out. Terror group 1.jpg terror group 2.jpg terror group 3.jpg terror group 4.jpg terror group 5.jpg terror group 6.jpg terror group 7.jpg

Reactions: MrsE88 and Jexnell

Spence

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2015
MA
I had a very close call with these guys during the last water change. I swapped out close to 80/85% of the water. I filled it back up and noticed I was off on the temp by about 4 degrees Fahrenheit (regular temp 75 - new temp 71 ish). I also forgot to add Prime while refilling. About 5 minutes after refilling everyone of them were laying on the substrate. I quickly gave them a shot of Prime once I realized I had forgotten. About 5 minutes after they were all out and about again.
So what do you think the issue was? Cold water shock or no Prime? I'm on city water so I'm leaning towards the Prime being the issue. I didn't think 71 was cold enough to shock the fish.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I would bet it was the no Prime deal.

After not haveing A.C. this summer. Also with the heater incident last winter. Under powered heater in a 55gal for 3weeks, could only keep tank around 68/70degF, my EBJD/norm JD and Bloodfin tetras made it thru no problems. I have learned some fish can tolerate a wide range of temps.

Edit: I learned this summer they can tolerate a 8 to 10 deg change in temps over the course of a day.

Reactions: Spence

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
One of my GT's is currently in a 40 breeder with no heater. Water temp stays around 68 to 70 degrees. Seems fine to me.

No heater in my Texas cichlid tank either, but water temps drop lower than 68 in the winter in southern Texas / Northern Mexico i would assume

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
No prime. I did the same thing with a batch of fry last year. Forgot the prime and nearly wiped out 40 fry.
I had to quickly move them into their parents tank while I tested the water. I have a well and my water previously had no ammonia in it, then we had a ton of rain and it must have leached chemicals from the fields into the well because my ammonia was maxed out coming out of the tap. Pretty scary. I stopped adding prime months before that so I have very little on hand. Now I use it ever time regardless of the ammonia reading out of the tap.

The little guys are getting bigger:) seeing any white seams yet?

I can only see a slight hint of dark on the edges of my fry. No white from what I can tell.

Reactions: Spence
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store