The Masked Shadow’s Fishing Thread!

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Also got some conolation prizes. 2 pound Copper Rockfish, Barber Pole, Rosy Rockfish, and somr gophers and olives along with a few nice reds. My uncle won the jackpot for the second time with a very rare surprise of a 9.5 pound Halibut! Aso got a lingcod. When I get the chance, ill give you a tour of my tackle boxes. To give you perspective of the Boccaccio, I am almost 5’8”, and its about half of me. Unfortunately, Boccaccio are very very light fish in general, so it was just under 9 pounds

BB1EDFA0-C71A-4A89-A412-54B69BC5342E.jpeg

Reactions: Deadeye

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
BIG Boccacio to end the fishing trip!

View attachment 1469903
How come you blot your face out when we all know what you look like, lol.

Is this mystery fisherman really The Masked Shadow The Masked Shadow or is it an imposter? Or have you just developed a bad case of acne that you don't want us to laugh at, lol?

• Haha
Reactions: Rtc/tsn and Deadeye

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Yesterday, I caught 5 nice size Whitefish, 2 large Vermillions (about 4 pounds), 1 Boccaccio, and a few smaller rockfish. My bag need up being 7 pounds. Most of these fish just have huge heads, and the actual fillets are small. Didn’t take any pictures.

When going out of Oceanside Harbor, the place we went to had a 10’x4’x3’ tank. They have a small group (5-6) of small Spanish mackerel, 2 calico bass, 2 Black and Yellow Rockfish, 1 Rosy Rockfish, 3 Blue Rockfish, 2 Sanddab, 1 large Whitefish, 2 Opaleye, a few large crabs, 4 Pacific Sculpin, the cleanup crew (includes starfish), and a baby leopard shark. It’s all native fish. It’s sick. Minimal rock decorations, 2 large strands of kelp, and tons of natural algae and ‘plant’ matter. Didn’t take any pics. Should’ve. It sounds like it looks cramped, but that tank is massive, and most fish are under 10”. Not sure what they do with the fish once they reach full size.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Going to Moro bay this week for thanksgiving. Fishing out of Avila Beach and Morro Bay. Swell may be big though.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Long story!

Yesterday we went to the place to go on the boat, and the trip (3/4 day) got cancelled, so we had to settle for the 1/2 day, which went out an hour and a half later, so I organized the tackleboxes and read. We weren’t trying to keep many fish. We only brought 4 rods: 2 deep sea combos with conventional reels, a deep sea shark spinning rod, and a shallow water bait caster. The shark spinning rod didn’t work. Normally, you fish with squid on a double dropper loop, which is what the 2 deep sea conventionals are for. However, for bigger fish, hook-up baits (a kind of lure) work better. But, only one rod can have that, so we switched off. Half the time I used it and the other half. Long story short he got icky and hooked everything while I got nothing.

Lingcod are solitary fish, yet he got lucky enough to get 2 on the same cast! Here’s the end results. If you have any questions fish-wise, then feel free to ask me.

767C6B8A-59D2-4A8B-ABFF-4324BE0B2C75.png

6B03022F-8D0E-4625-A23F-1E3CE1BA0BC1.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store