The team (my polys)

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
In with my bichirs I have L027a Xingu Royal, L076 Orange Seam, L137 Bruno, L190 Royal, L196, L200 Green Phantom, L264 Sultan, Gold Spot, and Red Fin. Personally I love them(Obviously)
I'm surprised your gold spot doesn't suck on your polys. Even if mine didn't (I caught him a few times) I dunno if I would still want him in the main setup. I clean my red garnet substrate then next minute he has covered it in poop again. Not a pleasant sight lol.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
It doesn't come with the moss. Moss isn't "low maintenance ". If you want mesh like that go to a craft store and get it for a tenth of the cost. Cross stitch mesh works the same. You can get suction cups at petsmart or petco for like 2.99 for 4.
Personally I think moss is a pain in the butt. It traps all kinds of debris. As it grows it sends runners out to attach to things if it can't find something it likes they break off and if you don't get it it's in your filter. I like the look of it I just don't have time for it.
this is great info to know. I was almost suckered in lol. Had no idea about the debris or the filter problems it might cause. Thanks for helping me dodge that bullet.

Oh yeah unless you are really wanting to change out your substrate I'd not bother with either, with the root tab and potassium you'll be fine. I've seen huge planted tanks with pfs. You aren't keeping any of the super picky plants right? The fluorite is expensive and I'm guessing so is the eco complete. If you like the look and want to change up the look then by all means go ahead. If it's just for plants don't worry about it.
good to know. yeah I don't really want to change my substrate....just want my plants to grow. I just have amazon swords, some type of val, and then some of magpie's vals. However, I want to get some more low light easy plants. Apparently anubias are not easy for me cause I buried the rhizome hahahhaha.
I think part of the problem is the algae bloom. I'm wanting to get more plants, but want to get the algae under control first. The diatoms are going away, but I need to figure out how to get rid of the BBA. If you know of any ways, please share :)

Your idea of the root tabs and the potassium supp, so I'm going to try that. Thank you so much for your help!!!

I also wouldn't bother with the new substrate for the plants, unless you're wanting a color change. Root tabs work fine. And then the water column fertilizer for each water change like Flourish.

I think you need to look at the minerals etc in your water to see what you're missing (sounds like potassium).

It takes a while to figure out what plants work for your water/light. Once you get your water / fertilizer schedule set, then the ones that die don't work. ;) Keep trying. Some will work better than others.

My fish are used to a densely planted tank with a lot of cover and much dimmer light due to the dense nature and the floating plants. I think they'll settle in more with your plans of bulking up decor/plants. Even more wood will help. You can then tie on anubias which are typically low maintenance and don't need to be in the substrate.

I tied a piece of my wood to the top of my tank so it did't cover the substrate but still provided cover - you could try something like that. You want to still be able to see the fish.
Thanks, mags. In that case, want to keep the substrate the same (for now); personally love the contrast of the polys on a lighter color(red or white/+black or yellow).

I think I will go the root tabs route+potassium route as twentyleagues twentyleagues suggested that too. And then dose with flourish as many others mentioned. Thanks for the input. I always appreciate your guidance and advice.

Before I buy a bunch of new plants, I want to remove all the algae in my system. Did a dose of tetra algaecide and the tank looks a lot cleaner. Diatoms seem to be subsiding, but still need to figure out a way to tackle the BBA. Gotta catch up on the plant/algae forums. Things have been kinda busy for me because of exams and work.

In the meantime, I have a bunch of driftwood that can be glued to rocks(need to find a way to anchor them down). Would do slate pieces, but can't find those around here? Not sure what type of wood it is, and it was in someone's tank previously,(without knowing their tank history) so I have my reservations. Part of me just wants to buy more new manzanita :p.....cause it looks good and I know it will sink.

Reactions: magpie

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
@ pleco topic:
Typically I think plecos are pretty, but not for me. Some lady was telling me to get one, and I recited the "they have a high bioload and will suck on the polys slime coats" speech. You guys would have been proud. *tears and slow claps* With that being said, I know some members have kept them successfully like T thefredpit . And his plecos are N-I-C-E. but just not in the cards for me right now. Which one is the zebra pleco...that one is my favorite!

twentyleagues twentyleagues : what is a SAE?

@moke buyer: considering it an L. because we talked about it for a long time, I sent invoice reminders, but things kept coming for him which is okay. Would take the moke to the LFS in my area, but as a former employee of the one in town....to put it nicely: it is not the cleanest and a majority of the fish are not kept in the best conditions. J jaws7777 once referred to it as the DDP(damn dirty poly store). I love her too much to do that. I am not opposed to traveling somewhere for store credit or rehoming her to another member. I wish wetspot was closer. :)

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I'm surprised your gold spot doesn't suck on your polys. Even if mine didn't (I caught him a few times) I dunno if I would still want him in the main setup. I clean my red garnet substrate then next minute he has covered it in poop again. Not a pleasant sight lol.
The gold spot is new therefore on probation a person on the local forum was trying to rehome him unsuccessfully claiming he was a 10" rhino. He knew I'm a pleco maniac so he wrote me and begged me to take his rhino and I said yes. Then I saw the pic and realized it was a gold spot. The guy was so happy I said yes he threw in the biggest pleco cave I have ever seen and a huge piece of driftwood. Well he wasn't 10" he was 12". I wouldn't of taken him in because the Pterygoplichthys genera is the one usually responsible for slime sucking but my L196(P. lituratus) has behaved so I'm giving it a shot. I have seen one spot on my larger polli 2 weeks ago but it was pretty small and could of been a bump and was gone in a day.

@ pleco topic:
Typically I think plecos are pretty, but not for me. Some lady was telling me to get one, and I recited the "they have a high bioload and will suck on the polys slime coats" speech. You guys would have been proud. *tears and slow claps* With that being said, I know some members have kept them successfully like T thefredpit . And his plecos are N-I-C-E. but just not in the cards for me right now. Which one is the zebra pleco...that one is my favorite!

the zebra pleco is the L096 and small enough for a sengalus to eat

sae is a siamese algae eater

Reactions: clm08k

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
@ pleco topic:

@moke buyer: considering it an L. because we talked about it for a long time, I sent invoice reminders, but things kept coming for him which is okay. Would take the moke to the LFS in my area, but as a former employee of the one in town....to put it nicely: it is not the cleanest and a majority of the fish are not kept in the best conditions. J jaws7777 once referred to it as the DDP(damn dirty poly store). I love her too much to do that. I am not opposed to traveling somewhere for store credit or rehoming her to another member. I wish wetspot was closer. :)
Siamese algae eater, just don't get a bite sized one. Mine cleans up some of the algae not all of it.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
The moke being good so far... it’s been 24 hours, let’s see if this lasts. Macaroni has been putting her in her place with her tail.

Added some new plants(+1 fake one):have excel
And flourish tabs ordered. If these die, going to get some more fake ones.
1946FBA4-4619-4EDA-83CA-FCF91A97B617.jpeg
78B65662-6D8F-4789-995C-45D4F6035D3F.jpeg
903CD8C2-858B-4120-95C7-D3C49FCD9C0C.jpeg
A8F0FA0A-6337-4DA4-8849-364297BB40A6.jpeg

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
So this is a 12 strikes you're out situation with your Moke? ;)

I hope it works out this time for you!

There are some really nice fake plants out there. :)

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
So this is a 12 strikes you're out situation with your Moke? ;)

I hope it works out this time for you!

There are some really nice fake plants out there. :)
You know me well, I can be kinda stubbornly persistant....I mean tenacious..lol. Of course, the second she starts ANY funny business, I take her out.....Really trying to keep her around. I believe we are on strike 6,7, or 8. Hoping she has her act together this time after being in high security for 2-3 months.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
magpie magpie , you'll never believe this, but two seconds ago, Soba nipped the moke's finlets a couple of times. I would have never guessed that Soba had it in him! I'm so happy. He's so fiesty! :p

Both Macaroni and Soba have been moving the moke, if she does something they don't like. So pleased because nobody has done that before! They've all been hanging out and swimming/piling together. Don't want to speak too soon, but my fingers are crossed that the moke is learning how to be a poly. Will keep you updated. :)

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I've never seen Soba nip anyone or even act like he'd even think about it! Well, maybe that will work... I hope it does for you. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store