The Use of Probiotics in Aquaculture

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
This question is dope, but...
what about tossing a few probiotic caps into the filtration and letting them dissolve? Anyone ever try this?
They don't dissolve, they disperse.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Solid particles suspended in the water?
The bacteria themselves are microscopic in size, the medium that they are packaged in varies, but typically they come packed in a bran filler, and it doesn't tend to dissolve.

RD. RD. - Thank you for highlighting and testing Bio-Clean. I have been using Rid-X for a couple years now and I've been very happy with it , but there is a ton of bran and I've been looking for something "cleaner". I'm going to give the Bio-Clean a try.
No problem, glad to help. I think that you will be pleased with how clean Bio-Clean is in comparison.

Reactions: Bad-Daddio

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Another update …...

Today I cleaned the filters in a different tank, another 125 gallon, filtered by three AC 500's (110). The tank contains a single adult male A. citrinellus that is 13-14" in TL. He is a big brute, with a big appetite, and he leaves a fair share of solid waste behind each week. This tank receives a very large 85% water change each week, but a good portion of the waste ends up in the filters, as there is no substrate in this tank, and with three big AC's running there is plenty of water movement. Along with what this brute of a fish kicks up!

This tank is also treated once a week with 1/4 teaspoon of Bio-Clean.

The following filter was cleaned 11 weeks ago. At that time I also added a new sheet of white Pen Plax media, that sits directly on top of the main course sponge. Photo taken 11/29/19

1582407995283.png

This is the same filter today, 2/22/20, photo taken prior to cleaning.

1582408117379.png

Look how clean the main sponge is, before I even rinsed it!

1582408225731.png

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I am...definitely going to try that in my filtration...with a growing Choc, Sev, parrot and O it would be ideal.

Reactions: RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Sounds good, good luck.

I just answered this in PM, so I might as well get this out there as well. When I add Bio-Clean to my tanks, I simply dump it in front of the output of one of my AC filters, and allow the flow of the water to disperse it. I do not strain it, as I would with other products.

Reactions: Matteus

zimmy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Just discovered the thread in the middle of a night of insomnia and read most of it (unfortunately didn't help put me to sleep). Thanks for starting the thread RD and that's a gorgeous midas!

Just ordered some Bio-clean. My system is about 350G (240G main tank and 100ishG sump) and heavily stocked with amphilophus so I do multiple large water changes weekly. I'll try dosing the sump with 2/3 teaspoon weekly to start. Looking forward to a cleaner sump and keeping my fish healthy.

Reactions: RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Sounds good, Z zimmy just make sure to review post # 490 before you start. Even with a total of 350 gallons, I would personally start with a smaller dose initially, 1/2 teaspoon max, and then monitor free ammonia (NH3) levels. I think that's good advice for anyone starting out. You can always increase to 2/3 of a teaspoon after a few weeks of slowly reducing the organic matter. Good luck!

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store