The Use of Probiotics in Aquaculture

zimmy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Sounds good, Z zimmy just make sure to review post # 490 before you start. Even with a total of 350 gallons, I would personally start with a smaller dose initially, 1/2 teaspoon max, and then monitor free ammonia (NH3) levels. I think that's good advice for anyone starting out. You can always increase to 2/3 of a teaspoon after a few weeks of slowly reducing the organic matter. Good luck!
Thanks RD! The Bio-Clean arrived in the mail today and as you've recommended I dosed at 1/2 teaspoon after vacuuming out the gunk in the sump yesterday. I have a lot of biomedia (and also lots of duckweed growing in the sump) so it would be surprising if I get an ammonia spike but I'll keep close watch.

Reactions: RD.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Thanks RD! The Bio-Clean arrived in the mail today and as you've recommended I dosed at 1/2 teaspoon after vacuuming out the gunk in the sump yesterday. I have a lot of biomedia (and also lots of duckweed growing in the sump) so it would be surprising if I get an ammonia spike but I'll keep close watch.
Wait, could someone explain the ammonia spike issue? Would this be because of bacteria depletion?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Wait, could someone explain the ammonia spike issue? Would this be because of bacteria depletion?
from post # 487 ...

if the numbers were high enough, then ammonia levels could rise, just like what takes place in tanks when there is a bacterial bloom. But one should only experience this if they have a very large amount of organics in the tank, and they add a very large amount of bacteria all at once. T thefredpit mentioned this happening in another discussion, when he added an undetermined amount of Rid-X to his tank when there was a significant build up of organics, that had accumulated when I believe he had not been using Rid-X for a while.

The idea is to do this process gradually, not shock the aquarium with a shovel full of probiotic bacteria, added to a tank that is already choked off with sludge. I'm exaggerating of course, but a little goes a long ways, and one shouldn't expect bacteria to replace general maintenance of ones tank, including filter media and regular siphoning of substrate etc.

Used on a regular basis, in a limited controlled amount, these heterotrophic bacteria will convert excess organics to carbon dioxide, ash, mineral, gas, and water, which are then removed further via aeration, plants, and regular water changes.

Another real risk to overdosing with massive amounts, especially in a sludge filled tank, is 02 depletion.
People need to be sensible when using these products. If not, then operator error could prove to be fatal in extreme situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey and deeda

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Just added Ridx for the first time to the tank. I had the box sitting on my bar for weeks and just couldn’t pull the trigger. Lol. RD is very convincing however. 15 minutes after adding fish all seem to be ok.

• Haha
Reactions: RD.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
After nearly six years I've finally read the original post by RD. RD. thanks for sharing your knowledge and for other folks sharing results.

I have only made it to post #165. interesting read and results.

Shark75

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2020
I, too, just stumbled on this thread last night and read about half of it in bed and finished the other half this morning. I love everything I have read about it from breaking the waste down to reducing pathogenic bacteria. It is an amazing read, so glad I finally joined this forum after lurking for years.

Thank you, RD, for the wealth of information you provide to everyone on here and the same to everyone else who contributes positively. I learn something new every day I'm on here and apply it to the benefit of my own aquariums.

RD, do you still use NLS Probiotix and is that something you feed every day or a supplemental feed a couple times a week. I used the NLS Thera + A formula for a couple years until my supplier stopped carrying them and started using Xtreme Cichlid pellets instead and now also Northfin. I'm keeping mainly Lake Malawi cichlids and am very intrigued by both the NLS Probiotix and the Bio- Clean which I'm sure I will be ordering today haha. Thanks again, Jim

Reactions: Matteus and RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Hi Jim, I have some Probiotix here, but seldom use it now. I feel that if you can incorporate some of that food into the diet, that's fine, but it certainly isn't something that most folks should need to feed every day. It's basically just another tool, in the big tool chest. Bio-Clean I add every week, and will probably continue to do so as long as I am keeping fish. Again, just another tool, but IME it is definitely worth the cost.

Reactions: Matteus and Shark75

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I had switched over to the NLS line for pellets with my recent new tank. NLS Prebiotics is one I use and alternate with the NLS cichlids and algae primary for the severums and plecos as those pellets all sync and they don't have to compete with the Jar. The Jardini only Float pellet and whatever he dives for.

I find they dont hit the Prebiotic pellets as hard, but I suppose it doesnt hurt rather than not have any.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store