Teke left

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2015
First allow me to say that I know most will not agree with what I am about to say lol .. All I ask is to not be rude about it .. Well after being in the saltwater hobby for a few years I suddenly want to be a American cichlid hobbiest .. Over the last few months I have been researching many different fish ... I am done with my cycle & now it's time for fish!! Now I know I know I know that it is possible for this to turn into a disaster .. But I'm willing to take my chances .,, I think it is all possible with the exception of the dovi .. I will be buying all fish offline because I am in a hick town & the closest lfs is 2 hours away .. I am considering buying all these fish at the exact same time .. All fish are between 1 & 2.5 inches ..
The fish are
2Green terror
2 red terror
2 ebjd
2 jaguar
2 jack Dempsey
2 black nasty
2 red devil
.... 2 dovi

This will be going into a 75gallon & before you say the fish are to big for the tank .. My philosophy ... Being that my research is correct... Is that they won't all survive .. I'm thinking that with that many fish ,, they will have a higher chance of survival being that they grow with each other my only true concern is the dovi .., which can be omitted from my list ... What do you guys think?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
omitting the dovii, I'm going with the terrors and jags battling it out and if the jags win they will outgrow your tank lol.

growing up together won't make any difference in that small of a tank. Territories will be staked out which in this case will be the entirety of the tank.

Reactions: skjl47

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I'm going to also say the the top contenders on that list will need 100+, just get yourself a nice 250-300 gallon, save yourself and the fish the bloodbath, and get a pair of jags or dovii.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I would remove the ebjd from the list since they are the weakest. Anyone of the other fish on your list will bully them to the point of sickness or outright kill them.

Just because they grow up together doesn't mean that a low bottom fish won't fight it's way to the top. I have had many cichlids that cause destruction as they grew up.

Start with at least a 6ft long tank if you want more than one 12"+ cichlid.

Also, the black nasty can be prone to bloat due to heavy stress (overcrowding/aggression). They tend to be loners with little or no competition from other cichlids where they come from. I wouldn't waste any money getting them and putting them into a tank with your planned stocking. You can get a similar looking species of Cuban cichlids.

Last edited:

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
people may not be mean, but I'm guessing most of the knowledgeable cichlid keepers on here will ignore it.
I get testing the waters with species that may or may not cohab well, but buying a bunch of aggressive or at least potentially aggressive fish and putting them in what will essentially be a closet for most of them and knowing almost all of them will be killed isn't a good way to break into the site. Just saving you the asschewing that's probably coming your way from someone else.
you will need a bigger aquarium, period.

Reactions: skjl47

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
lol are you trolling? seriously a 75 at best is good for a pair of jd's or gt for a few years till they need an upgrade, seem to know what species you like but haven't at all considered max sizes of these fish, that tank can house 1x 12 inch fish or a pair of 8-10 inch fish unless you have serious commitments to upgrading, if so the dovii jags and festae will be a serious danger to others and each other.

Reactions: Buphy

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
lol are you trolling? seriously a 75 at best is good for a pair of jd's or gt for a few years till they need an upgrade, seem to know what species you like but haven't at all considered max sizes of these fish, that tank can house 1x 12 inch fish or a pair of 8-10 inch fish unless you have serious commitments to upgrading, if so the dovii jags and festae will be a serious danger to others and each other.
75 gallon is small for the full grown fish which they will very soon. It might even stunt their growth if not enough space for all them since all these are territorial.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Everything but the dovii, black nasty and ebjd could all go together full grown if you tank was atleast x4 what you say you plan to have. I know it sucks, but CA cichlids need big tanks, there's no real way around it. All the reasons above mentioned, dovii will kill, nasty will kill or die of stress illness because they can't, and ebjd are just the lowest end of the totem. With a 75 and you currently can't go any large I'd say try the GT. They're slow growers, so you'll have time to save up for a bigger tank.

Reactions: Ihsnshaik
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store