MP_cichlid

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2015
Connecticut
Ya but then the dovii is gonna be stuck in a 75, lol. I mean i have a dovii in a 40, however he is young like 4inches and i have a nice 200 waiting for him :)

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
That's a lot of money you will be wasting on fish. I would personally suggest researching the species and pick something appropriate for your goal.

Also 2 of each really limit what you get. I would do more like 4-8 of the individual species then pick the best out of the group or get a pair.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
The dovii can be killed just like all the rest at that size. Its not like your dropping in a 20"+L monster.

MP_cichlid

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2015
Connecticut
ya P PYRU while that is true, they are just a very fast growing fish that can outgrow and out dominate other cichlids easily just given their natural aggression even as juvies, they are also simply built to fight.

Teke left

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2015
Well first let me thank you all for your replies! After reading all of the post I may need to rethink it .. I know it seems like cruelty to do what I was thinking, I said pairs so I could see them all then decide which ones I liked most. All that I listed are my interest .. A larger tank isn't a hard goal to achieve I just already have 2 55g salt & this 75 soon to be cichlid tank the wife won't allow another at the current moment lol. So I could exclude dovi & nasty & red devil .. But I'd still be stuck with a list hard to narrow ... I do acknowledge the thought of getting 4-5 of the same species & picking the best ones but deciding which species is the hard part .. Which have the most personality in general ... Any with knowledge of keeping the ones listed?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello;
There seems to be a building consensus. Aside from an obvious disregard for the well being of the fish, what would the list of fish cost? One positive is that the question is asked prior to actually buying the fish.

I am done with my cycle & now it's time for fish!! Now I know I know I know that it is possible for this to turn into a disaster .. But I'm willing to take my chances .,,
My philosophy ... Being that my research is correct... Is that they won't all survive ..
Territories will be staked out which in this case will be the entirety of the tank.
Just because they grow up together doesn't mean that a low bottom fish won't fight it's way to the top.
that tank can house 1x 12 inch fish or a pair of 8-10 inch fish unless you have serious commitments to upgrading

Reactions: jaws7777

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I"m not gonna repeat what others have already said, though I TOTALLY agree. So let me add some new thoughts.

The GT and EBJD will get creamed first because they're weaker than the others. Then the regular JD will start getting whipped because it grows a bit slower than the other fish on your list--so does the GT and the Festae.

A 75 gallon tank seems like a decent size tank to you because because you've seen lots of people do 55 gallon reef tanks to start. Tank size is totally different with CA cichlids. Tanks that you think are unnecessarily big--they're not.

I think if you want to keep several large aggressive fish, you need to look at a MUCH larger display tank, and use your 75 gallon as a grow out tank. I use a 125 gallon to grow out fish, and it's a little small. Most people here will agree that their tank is a little small, or they could use just one or two more.

You need some kinda grow out tank because these fish grow at different rates, and then slow down a lot at 8-10 inches. So if you start with a crowded tank of 2 inch fish, some will outgrow others then kill em. While your GT has grown an inch in 3 months, your Dovii will have grown 3 inches. So now, a 5 inch fish is gonna whip a 3 inch fish. Think of a grow out tank as a frag tank, but for fish.

In general, I'd say Amphilophus have the most personality. Some big Veija have great personality when they're adult, been around a couple years.

You're gonna really like freshwater tanks, though. If you do a sump and a drip, you'll never change water. No salt, temp swings are no big deal, MUCH less testing to do, no RO/DI water needed, you'll never dose anything. FW is way easier.

And there are LOTS of fish NOT on your list--Zonatus, Trimacs, Argentea, Bocourti, V. Bifasciatus, Carpintis, H. Pantostictus, Nosferatu species.

Reactions: convict360

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Go with an amphilophus and you wont be disappointed.

However, its also easy to get bored of a single fish; something to bear in mind

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store