Santa Fe Discus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
This is as far as I got today. Starting to make dumb errors. Need a break from it. I have a long long way to go. Mainly small steps from here.

IMG_1084.JPG

Reactions: axs377

Santa Fe Discus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
So I don't make those errors when I attempt this, what were they? ;)
Trying to do more in a day, and not knowing when to quit. I had a beautiful 10' piece of maple picked out for the bottom frame and like a dummy I pocket hole drilled the wrong side. Math errors, and reading the tape wrong. Time to take a break when that happens.

Reactions: GeorgeInNePa
I find the way you are making the frame a little on the strange side however Perhaps you know something I don't about how you are doing it. I love the dimensions though and that stand looks strong enough to hold your house! Can't wait to see how you progress with this project

Santa Fe Discus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
I find the way you are making the frame a little on the strange side however Perhaps you know something I don't about how you are doing it. I love the dimensions though and that stand looks strong enough to hold your house! Can't wait to see how you progress with this project
I wanted 10' long and 10 foot long plywood is too hard to come by. My original Idea was to build a frame with 2x4s and then lay the plywood. I didnt want to waist space i researched wood strenth and decided on maple. Once I saw how beautiful hardwood is, I wanted zero screws on the outside. 1/2 of the canopy will be attached to th main frame. I want it to be so strong it could double for a tornado shelter.

Santa Fe Discus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
IMG_1100.JPG IMG_1102.JPG The 10 foot back rail flipped off 4x as I tried to attach it. Was hoping to get the frame together first. Time for the plywood. Then frame. I will be so happy to get the 4x8s out of my way! This project is giving me Ideas for my next. Hmm, I could go glass all or part way around.

Santa Fe Discus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
IMG_1106.JPG Was able to get the top rail on. Turns out 2 of the "studs" were off bt 1/16 and there is no bending maple. Not use to this good wood.

Santa Fe Discus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
IMG_1112.JPG IMG_1111.JPG
I was going to attempt a plywood aquarium ten months ago, but chickened out. So instead,I built a 60 gallon wooden sump inside my 75 gallon aquarium stand. Baby steps, right? Project went well, still holding water.

Below is a description of my current discus tank system I built because I was afraid of the wooden aquarium idea, but for some reason was less afraid of drilling seven holes in my aquariums even though I have never drilled glass before.

R/o filter to the 75 gal reservoir in the garage from there I can add water to my 120 gal discus tank. I drilled the glass and put two over flow boxes. Each box feeds a 75 gal aquarium. The first then feeds a lower refusing that I built out of plexiglass under the 120 gal then back to the main tank, the second feeds the 60 gal wooden sump I mentioned above, then back to the main tank. The wooden sump also has an over flow that feeds my roses, etc.. out side. No draining the aquarium, just open the valve at the reservoir and the water just runs through the system. Each body of water has its own heater and up went my electrical bill.

Moving forward with no written plans, just ten months of thinking it through.

The Plan:

120” long x 31” wide x 30” tall. Width is limited by a door I have to use.

3/4 ish 96’ x 30” glass with 92”x28” viewing area maybe an inch or so larger. Not sure what the over lap should be.

Where do I get glass? any plate glass?

I will use 3/4 birch, doubled on the bottom, and maple 3/4 inch trim.

and lots of Pond armor.

no turning backnow!

Fun!

Tim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store