Ultimate DIY Fish Room - Nearly 100K Gallons in Total!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kangadrew

Banned
Aug 7, 2015
Well, once I get enough money I plan to design a massive private aquarium, that will house lots of large, custom tanks and my freshwater collection I already have. I plan on constructing a building around the room, which will be pretty huge, so I'm really packing on the dough here ($250K budget, could possibly go higher but for now I'm gonna try and keep it around there). I'm posting this here to a) prepare you guys for something cool in the distant future, and b) ask for help on stocking. I'm going to keep my saltwater tanks completely out of the room, and have it devoted to freshwater so that I can move my other few saltwater tanks into the man cave (plus I've got some already in the wall, so no chance of those moving). I've already got:
-72 gallon bowfront with a (female) pair of oscars
-75 gallon with a (m/f) pair of oscars and a common pleco
-29 gallon with rams, barbs, tetras, rainbow, guppies, cories, and live plants
-90 gallon with tinfoil barbs, plecos, and a jack dempsey cichlid
-10 gallon for baby oscars (I get fry) and live plants
-46 gallon bowfront with angels, bristlenose plecos, a redtail shark, and live plants
-75 gallon with a big male flowerhorn cichlid
-40 gallon with tetras, rasboras, shrimp, corydoras, a bristlenose pleco, and live plants
-20 gallon with pufferfish and live plants
-5 gallon with male bettas (4 individual setups)
-1200 gallon custom with gars, a cichlid, peacock bass, a pacu, silver dollars, an eel, a datnoid, an arowana, a catfish, and bichirs
-Plans for a (recent) tank that will be the same dimensions as the 1200 gallon above (12x4x4), and hopefully house 1 tigrinus catfish, 2 clown knives, 3 peacock bass, 2 payaras, 3 clown loaches, 4 silver dollars, 1 green terror cichlid, 2 stingrays, 3 datnoids, 3 arowanas, a dorado, a FRT, and a GATF - does this stock list sound OK? I feel like these fish should be in something a bit bigger - space is no issue, but I would like to keep it pretty small

Now, here's the interesting part; the new tanks. Some of these are BEASTS - the biggest one will be one of the biggest in the world. Correct me if these sound a bit wrong (size-wise), but here goes:
-40' long x 10' wide x 7' high, 21,000 gallon concrete tank housing 3 Arapaimas
-26' long x 8.5' wide x 6' high, 10,000 gallon concrete tank housing 1 queen loach, 1 common carp, and 45 koi
-26' long x 8.5' wide x 6' high, 10,000 gallon concrete tank housing 3 alligator gars
-26' long x 8.5' wide x 6' high, 10,000 gallon concrete tank housing 3 golden dorado and 20 black pacu
-26' long x 8.5' wide x 6' high, 10,000 gallon concrete tank housing 3 siberian sturgeons and 3 bighead carp
-20' long x 8' wide x 6' high, 7,000 gallon concrete tank housing 2 redtail catfish, 1 common carp, and 12 golden dorado
-13' long x 6' wide x 6' deep, 3,500 gallon concrete tank housing 2 albino pangasius catfish and 12 albino giant gouramis
-13' long x 6' wide x 6' deep, 3,500 gallon concrete tank housing 3 clown knifefish, 1 convict cichlid, and 12 giant gouramis
-12' long x 4' wide x 4' deep, 1,200 gallon plywood tank housing 8 tinfoil barbs and 8 bala sharks
-12' long x 4' wide x 4' deep, 1,200 gallon plywood tank housing 2 tiger oscars, 2 red oscars, 2 albino oscars, 1 reticulated/teacup stingray, 1 black diamond stingray, and 1 motoro stingray
-12' long x 4.5' wide x 4' deep, 1,400 gallon plywood tank housing 1 siamese tigerfish, 1 jaguar cichlid, 2 redfin tinfoil barbs, 2 silver arowanas, 2 black arowanas, and 2 jardinii arowanas
-8' long x 3' wide x 3.5' deep, 600 gallon plywood tank housing 8 severum cichlids and 8 Geophagus altifrons cichlids
-8' long x 3' wide x 3.5' deep, 600 gallon plywood tank housing 58 different-colored blood parrot cichlids
-8' long x 3' wide x 3.5' deep, 600 gallon plywood tank housing 98 african cichlids (nothing exotic or fancy, just some easy to keep ones)
-8' long x 3' wide x 3.5' deep, 600 gallon plywood tank housing 13 tinfoil barbs (6 redfins and 7 albinos)
-6' long x 2.75' wide x 2.25' deep, 280 gallon plywood tank housing 1 marbled african lungfish and 2 freshwater archerfish
-180 gallon standard glass tank housing 6 green spotted puffers
-180 gallon standard glass tank housing 18 discus
-125 gallon standard glass tank housing 25 barbs of 2 species and 3 chinese algae eaters
-90 gallon standard glass tank housing 9 discus
-55 gallon standard glass tank housing 38 barbs of 3 species
-55 gallon standard glass tank housing 49 tetras of 2 species
-55 gallon standard glass tank housing 40 platies (for breeding as feeders for some of the bigger guys that are even able to catch them)

That's my plans, and I don't plan on getting another tank after these ever again in my life - except maybe ONE more saltwater...
But yeah, I'm looking for experienced opinions on whether or not these tank sizes are adequate, or should they be bigger. These are being planned out WAY ahead of time, and these won't be built for a long while, so there's still plenty of time to get this thing built. Interested in hearing from Mr. Arapaimag himself, since he's the only guy I know with a tank anywhere near the size of the arapaima tank, let alone the 10K gallon ones and maybe even the 7K gallon one. And he's got experience with lots of different monster fish. Thanks for any input I can get!

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Very ambitious, sounds really sick though. I don't really have anything to add but I figured I would come tag A arapaimag so that he is alerted to this thread.

Reactions: boldtogether

Kangadrew

Banned
Aug 7, 2015
Yea, staff will be required. I would think volunteers could come though, I know plenty of people that would love to help out with this stuff. Planning on (very soon) getting solar panels for energy, that'll cut down on costs big time in the long run. Wife knows, loves the hobby as long as she can have hers :)
Tanks will have a single viewing window. It actually won't be TOO expensive to build because, unlike Arapaimag's tank(s), they have a single (or a few for the 10,000 and 21,000 gallon ones) glass/acrylic panel for viewing, and the rest is concrete.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I would not personally feel comfortable with leaving these to volunteers unless they are of an academic background. Leaving thousands in stock in the hands of someone without proper understanding and/or motivation could lead to disaster. I'm painting a worst case scenario but that's why this is the planning stage.

Kangadrew

Banned
Aug 7, 2015
I would not personally feel comfortable with leaving these to volunteers unless they are of an academic background. Leaving thousands in stock in the hands of someone without proper understanding and/or motivation could lead to disaster. I'm painting a worst case scenario but that's why this is the planning stage.
You present a good point. Staff could be a better option... with a background check of course.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
You present a good point. Staff could be a better option... with a background check of course.
I would try to set something up like a university coop or something, something for students to get credits out of it and still be cheap... I am of the opinion that anything of this caliber should only be regulated by motivated and knowledgeable hands. You can fix the second more cheaply than the first. I'm not sure if it is possible to actually set something up with a college but if it were they could be ideal candidates. College credits and first hand experience of major systems is good motivation. Volunteer work can probably keep you afloat in the early stages when you have the time, willpower and energy but I wouldn't be able to call out (metaphor since this is actually your house? But emergencies and illness should still be planned for) with only volunteers to keep your systems from failing. This is just some random thoughts to try and pick your brain a bit.

Kangadrew

Banned
Aug 7, 2015
I would try to set something up like a university coop or something, something for students to get credits out of it and still be cheap... I am of the opinion that anything of this caliber should only be regulated by motivated and knowledgeable hands. You can fix the second more cheaply than the first. I'm not sure if it is possible to actually set something up with a college but if it were they could be ideal candidates. College credits and first hand experience of major systems is good motivation. Volunteer work can probably keep you afloat in the early stages when you have the time, willpower and energy but I wouldn't be able to call out (metaphor since this is actually your house? But emergencies and illness should still be planned for) with only volunteers to keep your systems from failing. This is just some random thoughts to try and pick your brain a bit.
Yeah, I think a college would be a great idea! I am planning on adding a steel building to the back of my house (the ones they always have commercials for) and using that, but it would have to be MASSIVE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store