Underrated Eels and Where to Find Them - PART II

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
I posted this thread on a couple of cool Anguilla ("true" eel) species that are underappreciated in aquariums about a month ago.

Well, here is a continuation. Please note that this thread does not include spiny eels, swamp eels, or any other fish that is commonly sold as an eel without actual being an Anguilla species. If anyone here is interested in a list featuring some rarer false eels, let me know and there's a chance I'll put one together. This list does contain some slightly rarer eels than the last. This list will also, unlike the previous one, include links to buy the listed eels. Without further ado, here is the list.

Pinklipped/Whitecheek Moray Eel
Echidna rhodochilus
https://exoticfishshop.net/product/freshwater-white-cheek-moray-eel/

This species, which occurs in SE Asia, as well as Oceania, is one of the few moray eels known to live in freshwater for extended periods of time. These are very similar in care to Gymnothorax tile, arguably the most popular of the 3 commonly traded "freshwater" morays. Like the other "freshwater" species, it is actually not recommended to keep Echidna rhodochilus in freshwater long-term. It is advised to keep this species in brackish water of at least 1.01 SG. By no means a community fish, but can coexist with many larger, faster-moving fish. Eats meaty foods such as silversides, shrimp, and mussels. Have never kept these, but judging by my experience with G. tile, I would probably say this species is intermediate in terms of care. Usually about 24" and $50. They are sometimes found alongside Gymnothorax polyuranodon (Tiger moray) in the wild.

Shortfin Eel
Anguilla australis
https://livefish.com.au/short-finned-eel-anguilla-australis-12cm

I'm sure lots of the AUS/NZ natives here are familiar with the shortfin and/or longfin eel. The latter is an absolute behemoth. This species, however, is much tamer in terms of size. These are very ravenous fish that will eat anything that fits in their mouth. Usually reaches around 40" at adult size, and will eat most meaty foods. Very robust and hardy, especially for eels. Usually will not mind fish too big for its mouth. They are very messy eaters. They do absolutely fine in freshwater, but also occur in brackish. Not a lot of people in the greater Oceania region seem to keep them, so I'd like to see if any of you have experience or pics!

Moose-mann

Feeder Fish
May 3, 2022
I know this is a long shot but I have to try. Years ago I kept one of these eels and loved it. I am looking for one again but having a hard time finding one. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could buy one? Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store