Very course sand

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I want to go with a sandy bottom look in my 75 but don't sand that's very fine, any suggestions? Black would be my preferd color but it doesn't matter to much.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Oh wow that looks amazing thanks that about exactly wat I was looking for! Wat about cleaning it? I would assume gravel vac would still pick up the sand so how would I go about that?

Drx6x

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
IL
it's pretty dense stuff so gravel vac shouldn't be a problem.

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
Oh wow that looks amazing thanks that about exactly wat I was looking for! Wat about cleaning it? I would assume gravel vac would still pick up the sand so how would I go about that?
You can sift the surface of the sand with a net or you can gravel vac it along the surface. You will end up sucking out some sand and needing to replace some over time though. Sand is definetly the best substrate to use. Gravel gets waste stuck in it and is harder to clean you'll find sand very easy to clean. All waste sits on top of the sand. In my opinion I like regular colored sand over the black because it's more natural looking and easier to see the waste to know when it's time to clean up.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I do this for cheap coarse sand. I buy construction sand. Got 3/4 ton five years ago for under $20 to bed some pipes.

For aquarium use I sift the sand thru a screen. This separates the very fine stuff out. Pretty much has to be sifted when dry. You can get what ever size particles desired by the openings in the screen. I have made a simple frame of wood for attaching the screen.

If the standard screen sizes do not work try this. Say 1/4 inch screen gives particles too big you should be able to overlay two sections of it and adjust it so you get a desired opening.

The big advantage is to get rid of the very fine dust by the dry sifting. This makes rinsing so much easier. You will have to rinse the stuff for the tank.

A separate question on the blasting media from tractor supply. Does anyone know what it is made of? I may be wrong but seem to recall it is from some sort of industrial byproduct.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
its coal slag a byproduct of coal burning facilities. its ignert and chem free meets drinking water standards. http://www.ati-blackdiamond.com/our-business/frequently-asked-questions.html
Hello; This must be different than coal ash then. We had a big problem with coal ash at the Kingston power plant near Kingston TN a few years ago. One of the ash ponds gave way and flooded the area. The ash was considered toxic and was an expensive cleanup.

For some reason I had thought it was the slag (impurities) removed when making steel.

thanks

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
The black diamond blasting sand above does look very nice, I had it in one of my tanks for a while (transitioning it out for eco complete). It however is very light and easy to suck up with a gravel vacuum. But you can always just put it back in. Also yo have to be careful when cleaning the glass as it is very abrasive and will scratch.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ agreed with the sharpness part, i scatched an old tank quite bad coz of it accidentally...

Reactions: Itsadeepbluesea
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store