Weird Figure 8 Puffer phenomenon

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
Deadeye Deadeye brought this to my attention, and I can't unthink it. Ever noticed how F8s almost always look either like this:
1636873278669.png
Or this?:
1636873329640.png
I've always found it sort of odd. They definitely are two distinct patterns, and even different body shapes. Do any of you know if this has anything to do with maturity, catch location, sexual dimorphism, or anything else? It's certainly somewhat interesting. It's almost as if they're two different (albeit cryptic if true) species.
Fat Homer Fat Homer

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Following to see if there is an answer!
Always wanted to keep one, just never went brackish yet.

Reactions: xenacanth9

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Good question! I wonder if scientifically speaking they may actually be a sub species that hasnt been identified but people just call them F8 out of ease… bit like the Imitator puffer and dwarf puffer…

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
Good question! I wonder if scientifically speaking they may actually be a sub species that hasnt been identified but people just call them F8 out of ease… bit like the Imitator puffer and dwarf puffer…
Could one have a different pattern as a juvenile.
Both possible... I think of the four redeye puffers from the family Carinotetraodon, which look similar, though visibly different from each other, and were most likely identified as Carinotetraodon lorteti for years before being separately classified. It wasn't until 18 years after lorteti's discovery when borneesis was classified, 110 years for salivator, and a whopping 114 for irrubesco, which is the most commonly traded species, so who knows. It's possible they are subspecies.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Could one have a different pattern as a juvenile.
interesting thought, tbh, i’ve not paid as much attention the to the brackish / salty puffers myself… so that could also be the case

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store