What does everyone think of this filter?? Any suggestions??

HardBodyBullies1

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
Conyers,GA
Just want to get a little feed back on this sump. Im just getting back into the fish, and this is my first wet/dry sump system I've ever had.
I have this sump running a 75 gal freshwater aquarium with an overflow. I had to use this sump on the opposite side due to a crack on the side were the media and trays go. My question is do you guys think the water is being properly filtered, should I just get a different sump, or any suggestions to make this one work?1467479706449-1154900125.jpg

View attachment 1467480620353-1023185075.jpg

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I don't see any mechanical filter media in the sump, do you plan on adding any?

Reactions: HardBodyBullies1

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
You need to build a tray with some eggcrate and pvc for that media to sit on. Get it higher out of the water then you need to run some sort of mechanical media where the tank drains into the sump bloke filter floss or filter sock I run Seachem bio matrix submersible media on my tanks

HardBodyBullies1

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
Conyers,GA
You need to build a tray with some eggcrate and pvc for that media to sit on. Get it higher out of the water then you need to run some sort of mechanical media where the tank drains into the sump bloke filter floss or filter sock I run Seachem bio matrix submersible media on my tanks
Thank you. Do you have any pics of yours that you will like to share?

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
You need to get A filter sock and cut you PVC and just attach it from there. If this was my sump I would add an elbow run two PVC parallel to each other and add a Walmart tray. It's known as a trickle filter check it out many ways to make it. Just need to make holes.

So Your sump is getting clogged with poop and all sorts of nasties. With the floss it'll catch it out and you can toss it too keep nitrates lower. I literally can go 3 months without water change and I have before. I do normal top off though and small water changes but not a big one.

I know do every month a 80 percent water change in my 200 gallon but I'm over filtered lol

Komatsuxj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
Pineville, nc
Technically your sump is backwards, the pump should be on the left side, see the two little rails near the top on the right? Those are for your drip tray that holds your mechanical media. There should be a baffle behind the stand support, put the bio balls under the drip tray and that baffle will good them on the right end, then place your pump on the left.

HardBodyBullies1

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
Conyers,GA
Technically your sump is backwards, the pump should be on the left side, see the two little rails near the top on the right? Those are for your drip tray that holds your mechanical media. There should be a baffle behind the stand support, put the bio balls under the drip tray and that baffle will good them on the right end, then place your pump on the left.
Yes I did use the sump backwards because of a crack thats on that side about 3 inches.

HardBodyBullies1

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
Conyers,GA
You need to get A filter sock and cut you PVC and just attach it from there. If this was my sump I would add an elbow run two PVC parallel to each other and add a Walmart tray. It's known as a trickle filter check it out many ways to make it. Just need to make holes.

So Your sump is getting clogged with poop and all sorts of nasties. With the floss it'll catch it out and you can toss it too keep nitrates lower. I literally can go 3 months without water change and I have before. I do normal top off though and small water changes but not a big one.

I know do every month a 80 percent water change in my 200 gallon but I'm over filtered lol
So can i leave it the way it is put the floss on top of the bio balls? Thanks for your input

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store