What is your policy on tipping wait staff?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
The one that gets me is when they try to sneak a tip into the bill before you realize it.... and it's MORE than the typical amount.

chefjamesscott

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2008
regina saskatchewan canada
step one put out your foot
step two very sharp push
step three quick sweep of the foot.

voila tipped over staff

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
One of my pet peeves though is when paying for cash and when the waiter brings back the change, they ask if I want change back. If my bill is $19.99, yes I still want my change back. When paying cash, I usually pay enough for the tip too, but I still dont want them to ask if I want my change.

beex215

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
usa
i write on a napkin and say get a better job. thats always my tip.

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
go somewhere else if you don't like who works there?

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
I tip about 12-15%, a little more if the service is exceptional. I would always leave at least 10% unless the server was outright rude - it isn't necessarily their fault when the order is slow or messed up.

I just look at it as part of the cost of going out, it doesn't bother me at all.

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
I tip based on service. I don't care if they only make $2 hr base pay, if they don't earn enough tips to make minimum, the company has to match it.
The JOB they do is SERVICE, if they don't do their job, they don't get the money. It's that simple for me.

That being said, I have worked in the restaurant industry for several years when I was in college, so I know what it's like. I know a lot of people pulled in 2-3 hundred each night - so it's not like they are barely scaping by. That's not bad for a couple hours of work.
completely agree, my buddy and i both worked at the same restaurant...he made 7.50 an hour...i made upwards of 11 an hour based on my tips...but he wasnt as good at what he did, ...bad memory i think....but yeah the company made up for the majority of his tips...completely agreed....
Waitstaff know what they sign up for, you have to make minimum wage regardless....so ..i agree with you..

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
i normally sit at a steady 20%...having worked in the food service industry for a few years...i know how hectic it gets...and i can tell when people are having good/bad days.. 20% is my base line...2 weeks ago i had this girl at outback steakhouse...the best waitress ive ever had...plus she was VERY attractive...however, she had everything on time..appetizers, entree, and dessert were all perfectly separated out, drinks were never empty, she had steak sauce and bread waiting at the table before my entrees came out...she was on her GAME...she brought the bill it was some 60$ or so, for a dinner with me and my buddy.... ( i owed him dinner...) but i left her 50% tip and asked for her name/number ;) hahaha, just for social uses ...... but if i ever go back there...she will most def be on my #1 draft pick list..

LD50

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2010
Austin TX
Unlike some folks (no need to point fingers, ya know who you are) I started out life dirt poor and put in my fair share of time in the customer service industry. So I usually tip quite well because I know these people who are busting their butts to prepare and serve me food live off tips. I just use a simple scale to tip.

Rude/terribad = no tip
average = 15-20%
good = 30%
Everything but a happy ending = 50%

Life rule number 1!!!! NEVER screw with people who prepare your food or handle your money. If you think you can get away with being an eletist jerk who is "above the help" I assure you that more than one meal of yours has been prepared with just a little "extra"....FYI "Please" and "thank you" go a LONG way in preventing this, don't be a jerk.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store