What kind of black piranha is this?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
While I have you, how big of a tank would a full grown black piranha need?

A 180 gallon for a fully mature Black Piranha. Black Piranha grow extremely slow so you can keep one in a 75 gallon for awhile. I had one years ago as a teenager but gave it to a friend. I always wonder how it would have looked if I kept the Black Piranha. Remember paying $49.99 for it in the late 70's. Hey I'm going to get some rest for work hopefully members will answer your other threads.

Reactions: kno4te

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
A 180 gallon for a fully mature Black Piranha. Black Piranha grow extremely slow so you can keep one in a 75 gallon for awhile. I had one years ago as a teenager but gave it to a friend. I always wonder how it would have looked if I kept the Black Piranha. Remember paying $49.99 for it in the late 70's. Hey I'm going to get some rest for work hopefully members will answer your other threads.
I have heard that 150 gallons can house multiple Piraya Piranha. And they get to about the same size as blacks at 16 inches. Is this true or not?

Basically I'm trying to decide between Red Belly Piranha, Black Piranha and Piraya Piranha. If I went Red belly I would get 3 as I guess people say to stay odd and if I went Black or Piraya Piranha I would go single.

And sounds good. Please return if so one else answers. All of your help is much appreciated!

Reactions: tlindsey

lightsout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Amazon
I have heard that 150 gallons can house multiple Piraya Piranha. And they get to about the same size as blacks at 16 inches. Is this true or not?

Basically I'm trying to decide between Red Belly Piranha, Black Piranha and Piraya Piranha. If I went Red belly I would get 3 as I guess people say to stay odd and if I went Black or Piraya Piranha I would go single.

And sounds good. Please return if so one else answers. All of your help is much appreciated!
150g is too small for a group of piraya. If youre going to spend the money on piraya go for something bigger like a 6x3 at the very least. Piraya are the biggest of the pygo group can reach up to 16".

You can can get away with a group of redbellys in a 150g.

For a full grown black piranha a 6x2 tank should suffice.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
150g is too small for a group of piraya. If youre going to spend the money on piraya go for something bigger like a 6x3 at the very least. Piraya are the biggest of the pygo group can reach up to 16".

You can can get away with a group of redbellys in a 150g.

For a full grown black piranha a 6x2 tank should suffice.
What about a single Piraya? Would 125 be enough?

And how many gallons is a 6 x 3?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store