What kind of Hoplias is this?? Plz help with identification

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Hello,

maybe some of the Hoplias pros got some Ideas.

My import guy got a fish and he himself is not shure what kind of Hoplias it actually is.

The fish is from the rio Rio Jatapu in the north part of the state amazonas (north-west part of brazil)

Here is the fish (currently 7"/ 18cm long)

Here are some bigger fish that have been catched at the same spot by the same guy as the little one above:

The person in this picture is only 5'7" / 1.68m tall, but still these fish all look pretty big, so i doubt they can all be curupira at this size. So i guess they might be aimara, which are not uncommon in this area as far as i know. But maybe someone knows more about this region or can identify the little one.

Greetings

Reactions: ExoticGREEN

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It's a black wolf or curu. They have been suggested to reach up to 30 inches. The other wolfs on the ground are hard to make out. The one the guy is holding is a monster of a wolf though.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The color of ur wolf looks nice too.

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Well i am pretty shure that the ones on the ground are all of the same species, at least they look the same to me. So is it really possible that there are so many curus of this size all together? Your seem pretty shure it's not an aimara?

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Hello,

maybe some of the Hoplias pros got some Ideas.

My import guy got a fish and he himself is not shure what kind of Hoplias it actually is.

The fish is from the rio Rio Jatapu in the north part of the state amazonas (north-west part of brazil)

Here is the fish (currently 7"/ 18cm long)

Here are some bigger fish that have been catched at the same spot by the same guy as the little one above:

The person in this picture is only 5'7" / 1.68m tall, but still these fish all look pretty big, so i doubt they can all be curupira at this size. So i guess they might be aimara, which are not uncommon in this area as far as i know. But maybe someone knows more about this region or can identify the little one.

Greetings
Wow. This is amazing. Look at the gold color in that fish. I didn't knew that curu's comes in different colors other than black .

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The ones on the ground are hard to make out for me. The one fish upturned has a v fold jaw line and could be lac or curu. Due to location the color can be same b/w fish. Large wolves will be likely together as they can't predate on each other. Smaller wolves will likely hide out near smaller wolves. Plus can you be sure the importer got it from the same spot. These rivers are quite big. Plus Aimara are known to be solitary. So being together maybe it's something else. Atleast for me and on my phone it's hard to make out, the wolves on the ground.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Wow. This is amazing. Look at the gold color in that fish. I didn't knew that curu's comes in different colors other than black .
Curus can be very light in color. Go to fugupffs YouTube page and he has a video of a light curu there.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Well i am pretty shure that the ones on the ground are all of the same species, at least they look the same to me. So is it really possible that there are so many curus of this size all together? Your seem pretty shure it's not an aimara?
If you know the import guy well enough then can ask home to take some better pics of what he has as curu and other wolves and make the call that way.

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
H HumanBean

Well the colourin is always tricky when it comes to hoplias, it can change because of the water conditions, because of the age of the fish or the way the fish feels. So far only malabaricus is easy to outrule because it is, in most cases, much brighter.

kno4te kno4te

Can you explain more about this v fold? Because they way jaws are formed would be a much better way to tell the species apart than colours. So far i only know that aimara usually got the biggest eyes when they are young and that they also got the flattest heads.

But you have a point that adult aimara are normally solitary!

Greetings

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store