What predator hap do you suggest?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I would love to have some, but I would have to change the tank entirely. Or more like they would, wouldn't anything under 6 inches be dinner?
I had a near twelve incher that while was a bit aggressive it didn't try to eat the other smaller fish in the tank.Champs don't seem to have very big mouths compared to other predatory haps.Mine would hide among the rocks and then would come out and cruise around the tank and chase a few fish around before going into hiding.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Any large adult open water predator is capable of attacking/killing/eating smaller Mbuna such as your L. Caeruleus.

Reactions: BigBeardDaHuZi

GVerde

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
Chicago
I have an extra sub dominant champ about a foot long. He is in there with a 3" L. caeruleus and a 5 " talapia and he doesn't bother them. If you can find a tyranochromis they are non aggressive and will get 8-10". I have one in my 220 gal main tank and I've never seen him bother anyone.

Reactions: Santiago 210

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The fact that a single specimen works, or doesn't, with smaller fish is in no way a guarantee that the exact same combo will net the same results in another tank.

They are called predatory for a reason, and over the years I can't think of a single Rift Lake predatory species of fish that has not become hyper aggressive in a comm tank with other Rift Lake species. I had to add & subtract several times over with different fish, of the same species, until I found a mix that would get along with the others. I have witnessed the same in many other tanks over the years.

Considering what the OP has available locally, personally I would try this change with fish that will offer the greatest chance of success in what he is seeking, which is fry removal, sans the drama of violent escapades. All large predatory haps have the potential to become hyper aggressive, simple fact, so best keep that in mind before adding to your current mix of fish. Or not, your call. Good luck

Reactions: deeda and Milingu

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
If your main concern is bioload, a group of synodontis multipunctatus will add less to the bioload than a giant nimbochromis or frontosa.

Eupteris will be fine solitary...they prefer it and will hide most of the time. I cannot testify to their fry eating efficiency.

Rocks are good, but you might be able to remove some of the smaller ones to eliminate tiny crevices that the mbuna cannot fit into.

Reactions: deeda

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
This guy makes short work of any fry in my tank. Not just small ones either. I have seen him take fish up to 2 inches. Plus he does not bother the other larger fish in the tank.

9C9DD1CC-B4C9-438A-97E2-30747DACBA52.jpeg

nzeng1111

Exodon
MFK Member
May 18, 2020
If your main concern is bioload, a group of synodontis multipunctatus will add less to the bioload than a giant nimbochromis or frontosa.

Eupteris will be fine solitary...they prefer it and will hide most of the time. I cannot testify to their fry eating efficiency.

Rocks are good, but you might be able to remove some of the smaller ones to eliminate tiny crevices that the mbuna cannot fit into.
Do you think any of the smaller tanganyikans will be good fry eaters? I think leleupi are good predators of small shelldwellers.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
No I have tried leleupi and others (as mentioned calvus) with Malawi haps and peacocks. You can add tret to the list of Tangs I have tried with Malawi that I consider a fail.

Reactions: nzeng1111

Santiago 210

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2021
Wow, thanks for the help.
I think I could get a synodontis multipunctatus, a clown plecto, (wanted one), and lamprolgus lelelupi down here.
Had a couple lelelupis in the 1980s seemed easy going, if I remember right.
They are small, would 2 or three get along? or just one be ok?

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Leleupi are aggressive and IME do not do well with Malawi, I think you will end up removing them. I would skip the clown pleco.

Reactions: Santiago 210
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store