jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/aquarium-plumbing-basics/

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-dual-overflows/

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

Imo these are essential reading in terms of herbie build threads. I copied my build from these two.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/rc-540-gallon-ca-community-build.595725/

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/300-gallon-sa-ce-community-build-thread.423425/

Now read on !!!! Get an understanding then create a thread in the filtration section. Ask questions those guys are great man trust me. We wont steer you wrong i want you to hear from other members instead of just taking my word for it.

Also check out this vid a buddy made it for me when i was trying to understand the drain set up

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Yeah, I think I’ll check out the filtration section to see what other opinions there are. The main problem is I would be basically wanting those drains being their max flow as the minimum flow rate I’m going for unless I ran more than two drains.
Not really, hypothetically if you went with two 1 inch drains and seperate gate valves you would be at 2,200 gph x2. At 4400 gph you would be closing those gates to almost nothing to get to that 1400 gph range you want to be in. 1.5 is just not needed but even if you wanted to go that large it wouldnt be an issue because your dialing things back with those gate valves

im sorry man i should have explained the graph i posted earlier. The 1st column is with air in the lines and gravity fed. Water moves allot slower in this manner so thesr numbers are what your e drains would be at.

The second column is what our full siphons would be at. Water moves allot faster once you control the air and gurgling...think about how fast that skinny little python hose removes water no air = full siphon

Reactions: DRteugelsi

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Not really, hypothetically if you went with two 1 inch drains and seperate gate valves you would be at 2,200 gph x2. At 4400 gph you would be closing those gates to almost nothing to get to that 1400 gph range you want to be in. 1.5 is just not needed but even if you wanted to go that large it wouldnt be an issue because your dialing things back with those gate valves

im sorry man i should have explained the graph i posted earlier. The 1st column is with air in the lines and gravity fed. Water moves allot slower in this manner so thesr numbers are what your e drains would be at.

The second column is what our full siphons would be at. Water moves allot faster once you control the air and gurgling...think about how fast that skinny little python hose removes water no air = full siphon

See that clears things up a bunch because I was thinking that was at full siphon. I’ll look into that reading I should have plenty of time tomorrow. Now I really have to figure out what kind of overflow and such to go with and a few other things.

Thanks, everyone you guys have really helped me out. You’re trophy will be in the mail:D

Hopefully the reading will clear a few things up.

Let me know if there’s anything else I should check out as well.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH

I don’t think that the columns mean what you’re saying. The first column is mean as the max flow as a gravity’s drain, which would be at full siphon. The second column represents the flow that occurs if the water is pressurized with a pump. I think a 1” siphon will probably only be at about 600gph. However, a 1” return running off of a pump can run up to 2200gph. I could be wrong here but this is the way I understand the table.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Man, you guys are going way above the call of duty on this one. Lol I’m going with a 55 sump as well. Three questions. Do you have any problems with evaporation causing the water level to go below your drains? Also do you have anything other than the heaters in the middle refugium? And what size did you go for your returns to the tank?
Between water changes each week, the evaporation usually causes the water level to drop a tiny bit but I just turn the pumps up a point and the water noise is gone.

I currently have two bags of 500 bio balls each in the middle refugium. I moved the heaters to the small space between the first and second baffle.

My returns are 3/4” bulkheads, but I run a 1” line up to the bulkhead.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
They are and are pretty sweet just not so sweet on price if I remember correctly.
This is exactly right. They are the H2Overflows from Custom Aquariums. If I had to go back and do it again I would replace them with the low profile strainer like what is pictured on my e drain.

For three of the 1.5” H2Overflows, two of the 3/4” Siphon Stopper returns, and the bulkheads for all of them, it was about $450 after shipping. I think there are much more economical options out there. I do like them a lot though.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I don’t think that the columns mean what you’re saying. The first column is mean as the max flow as a gravity’s drain, which would be at full siphon. The second column represents the flow that occurs if the water is pressurized with a pump. I think a 1” siphon will probably only be at about 600gph. However, a 1” return running off of a pump can run up to 2200gph. I could be wrong here but this is the way I understand the table.
U got it backwards bud. Gravity = e drain no pressure is exerted on it since its above or at water level. Same as the drains on an hob overflow. The stand pipes are sucking in water/air and are at the waters surface level in the overflow.

For a siphon drain to maintain a steady siphon it needs to below the water which js exerting pressure on it. How much depends on how low the stand pipes are.

When i was running the denitrate filter the pump was in mt sump. My water level constantly drops throughout the week after a wc (evap) as the water level dropped in the sump the gph for the denitrate filters dropped. Sometimes by 50%. Less water = less pressure on the pump = less gph.

Both have been circulated on mfk and originated from a plumbing site. Im sure they arent exact but could be used as ball park guesstimates.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
downloadfile-6.jpg GPHpipe.png

A few more experienced members feel that the numbers in the second graph are more accurate.

From my experience they have to be close. When i shut my siphons off and mess around with the system one of my 2 e drains can handle all of the flow. I oversized these drains for peace of mind.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
U got it backwards bud. Gravity = e drain no pressure is exerted on it since its above or at water level. Same as the drains on an hob overflow. The stand pipes are sucking in water/air and are at the waters surface level in the overflow.

For a siphon drain to maintain a steady siphon it needs to below the water which js exerting pressure on it. How much depends on how low the stand pipes are.

When i was running the denitrate filter the pump was in mt sump. My water level constantly drops throughout the week after a wc (evap) as the water level dropped in the sump the gph for the denitrate filters dropped. Sometimes by 50%. Less water = less pressure on the pump = less gph.

Both have been circulated on mfk and originated from a plumbing site. Im sure they arent exact but could be used as ball park guesstimates.
I can definitely agree that the gravity drain column leaves a bit of description to be desired. However, the second column I am most certain is for lines attached to pumps. Because it has (40-100psi) in the description, this clearly indicates that there is a pushing force in the line which is creating the pressure. If you were to put a gauge on your drain line, it probably wouldn’t register any pressure at all, or possibly a psi or two. However, it would be very far from the minimum stated on the chart, which is 40psi.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I would say that if you have the option, go with larger bulkheads, within reason, because you can always close them down. You can’t open up a smaller one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store