What tank size to go with??

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
DRteugelsi DRteugelsi lots of ways to skin a cat but i do not like the idea if having 2 siphon drains and 1 e drain. It defeats the purpose of having an e drain. 2 1.5 inch siphons are gonna move a hellava lot of water more than you would need on a 180. I have two 1.5 inch siphons tied into 1 gate valve on my tank amd went with 2 - 2inch e drains the gate is barely opened and my pumps are on the 4th or 5th setting.
Most people size there filtration around their pumps or siphon drains but thats a huge mistake. The point of herbie/bean animal systems are the fail safes. The 1st thing you have to take into considerarion is what gph do i want to be around ? And can my e drain handle it ? If not then larger e drains or less flow.

1.5 inches is great and you will be dialing the gate back allot but you can achieve closer to where you want to be with 1 inch drains and again you will be dialing that gate valve down allot.

Either way you need two e drains not 1.

Also i like the idea of overflow boxes for a few reasons.

Plants, dead fish, or what ever need to get past the wier to clog the drains directly.

Another reason is if i need to do any work with the stand pipes ir plumping the water level wont drop below the wier on overflow boxes.

If it were me i would go with internal overflows.

View attachment 1294057
A ton of good reasoning here. Other reasons could be but are not limited to.....
Something called dwell time. It's the time your water is in contact with your bio media. I don't know what the " sweet spot" is but to fast and you're going to end up fighting the efficiency of the bio media you have. Which is why the high turnover tanks like reefs need so much live rock. It's better to have lower return flow through the sump and make up for higher currents more motion with power heads or closed loops.
I thought I had more but I guess not caught some weird bug while at conferences and can't think atm. Lol

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
A ton of good reasoning here. Other reasons could be but are not limited to.....
Something called dwell time. It's the time your water is in contact with your bio media. I don't know what the " sweet spot" is but to fast and you're going to end up fighting the efficiency of the bio media you have. Which is why the high turnover tanks like reefs need so much live rock. It's better to have lower return flow through the sump and make up for higher currents more motion with power heads or closed loops.
I thought I had more but I guess not caught some weird bug while at conferences and can't think atm. Lol
Thats a good point i also have a hunch polys dont exactly love allot of velocity.

Reactions: twentyleagues

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
DRteugelsi DRteugelsi lots of ways to skin a cat but i do not like the idea if having 2 siphon drains and 1 e drain. It defeats the purpose of having an e drain. 2 1.5 inch siphons are gonna move a hellava lot of water more than you would need on a 180. I have two 1.5 inch siphons tied into 1 gate valve on my tank amd went with 2 - 2inch e drains the gate is barely opened and my pumps are on the 4th or 5th setting.
Most people size there filtration around their pumps or siphon drains but thats a huge mistake. The point of herbie/bean animal systems are the fail safes. The 1st thing you have to take into considerarion is what gph do i want to be around ? And can my e drain handle it ? If not then larger e drains or less flow.

1.5 inches is great and you will be dialing the gate back allot but you can achieve closer to where you want to be with 1 inch drains and again you will be dialing that gate valve down allot.

Either way you need two e drains not 1.

Also i like the idea of overflow boxes for a few reasons.

Plants, dead fish, or what ever need to get past the wier to clog the drains directly.

Another reason is if i need to do any work with the stand pipes ir plumping the water level wont drop below the wier on overflow boxes.

If it were me i would go with internal overflows.

View attachment 1294057
I would like to get at least 1500 gph flow to have a little over 8 turn overs per hour.
I’m trying to get pretty good filteration on this tank for the sake of the fish and the fact that I have plenty of time to fine tune everything.

I don’t want to be doing water changes every 3 days or something.

So you think 1.5 will be too much then? I just feel it would be easier to work with. I also like the overflow boxes I would be running two but in that case 1” pipe would be plenty for my purposes.

I’m just not sure what to do with all these options. I just want what’s best for the fish.

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Also, wouldn’t the second drain serve as an e drain of its own. there would be two overflow boxes. So that would leave plenty of room for flow in the drain and also would be a back up because a single box could handle 1200 at 1” on its own

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I would like to get at least 1500 gph flow to have a little over 8 turn overs per hour.
I’m trying to get pretty good filteration on this tank for the sake of the fish and the fact that I have plenty of time to fine tune everything.

I don’t want to be doing water changes every 3 days or something.

So you think 1.5 will be too much then? I just feel it would be easier to work with. I also like the overflow boxes I would be running two but in that case 1” pipe would be plenty for my purposes.

I’m just not sure what to do with all these options. I just want what’s best for the fish.
I think 1 inch is more than enough. Post a thread in the filtration section get as many opinions as possible.

Also, wouldn’t the second drain serve as an e drain of its own. there would be two overflow boxes. So that would leave plenty of room for flow in the drain and also would be a back up because a single box could handle 1200 at 1” on its own
See these drains serve what ever purpose you want them to serve depending on how you set them up. Two drains set up as a siphon are two functional running drains. Example each siphon is pushing say 700 gph. So your running 1400 gph you need to make sure your E drains can handle the total flow (1400gph) is it unlikely that bith siphons clog ? Sure is but what if ?... we always prepare for worst case scenarios in the hobby...2 heaters, 2 filters, ect ect skimping on E drains isnt worth it.

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
I think 1 inch is more than enough. Post a thread in the filtration section get as many opinions as possible.

See these drains serve what ever purpose you want them to serve depending on how you set them up. Two drains set up as a siphon are two functional running drains. Example each siphon is pushing say 700 gph. So your running 1400 gph you need to make sure your E drains can handle the total flow (1400gph) is it unlikely that bith siphons clog ? Sure is but what if ?... we always prepare for worst case scenarios in the hobby...2 heaters, 2 filters, ect ect skimping on E drains isnt worth it.

Yeah, I think I’ll check out the filtration section to see what other opinions there are. The main problem is I would be basically wanting those drains being their max flow as the minimum flow rate I’m going for unless I ran more than two drains.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store