what's in the QT?

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
It will kill the bb so to say as it binds the solution of ammonia that the bb is housed in.

Not saying thats what happened to you but is the reason safestart recommends not using the dechlorinator.

Says salt water on the card does that matter ?
that's crazy about the binding! When is it okay to use the dechlorinator for water changes, after safestart cycles? Sorry for asking again. I just still think cycling is hard to accomplish and weird to understand. At least for me. Thanks for being patient!

test kit: I think it is okay. Ammonia/Nitrates/Nitrites still the same bottles as fresh water :). Only difference in the kit is high end pH. but I purchased regular pH.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I don't know if this goes for all brands of dechlorinator/conditioner...prime binds ammonia and makes it non-toxic for fish, but is still usable for bb. Won't disrupt your bio at all.

Reactions: magpie and clm08k

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
I don't know if this goes for all brands of dechlorinator/conditioner...prime binds ammonia and makes it non-toxic for fish, but is still usable for bb. Won't disrupt your bio at all.
thanks! would this disrupt the nitrogen cycle of converting ammonia into nitrite? if the ammonia is bound?

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Nope, the ammonia binds with another compound but it's still ammonia, so the bacteria consumes the ammonia compound and converts it to nitrite, and eventually another bacteria gets established to turn the nitrite to nitrate. Prime will make both ammonia and nitrite non-toxic yet still usable to your bacteria

Reactions: clm08k and magpie

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
that's crazy about the binding! When is it okay to use the dechlorinator for water changes, after safestart cycles? Sorry for asking again. I just still think cycling is hard to accomplish and weird to understand. At least for me. Thanks for being patient!

test kit: I think it is okay. Ammonia/Nitrates/Nitrites still the same bottles as fresh water :). Only difference in the kit is high end pH. but I purchased regular pH.
Tetra recommendd 24hrs
Nope, the ammonia binds with another compound but it's still ammonia, so the bacteria consumes the ammonia compound and converts it to nitrite, and eventually another bacteria gets established to turn the nitrite to nitrate. Prime will make both ammonia and nitrite non-toxic yet still usable to your bacteria
Shes mainly talking about the bb in safestart.

Weird things is why arent we getting ammonia. Thats concerning

http://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/q-a-with-tetra-about-tetra-safestart.58116/

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Tetra recommendd 24hrs

Shes mainly talking about the bb in safestart.

Weird things is why arent we getting ammonia. Thats concerning

http://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/q-a-with-tetra-about-tetra-safestart.58116/
Intersting read..thanks. I've used seachem stability in the past. Fortunately I haven't had to cycle a tank in years. I keep extra bio in sumps so I can fire a tank up whenever. When I did quixk start a tank, I used prime and stability together with great results. Didn't lose any fish

Reactions: clm08k

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Intersting read..thanks. I've used seachem stability in the past. Fortunately I haven't had to cycle a tank in years. I keep extra bio in sumps so I can fire a tank up whenever. When I did quixk start a tank, I used prime and stability together with great results. Didn't lose any fish
Np. Ive used stability as well but didnt have success, must habe been user error seeing all the positive reviews it gets

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
It's always risky quick starting a tank...I don't recommend it. Sometimes it works, other times it takes just as long as doing it the old fashioned (right) way. I'm a firm believer in keeping a variety of extra bio media in sumps. I even keep sponge filters in sumps so I can start a qt anytime. I'd say this is probably the most important thing I've learned as a fish keeper. The downside is that now there is nothing stopping me from making crazy impulse purchases!!

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I think the impulse buys are just a constant in the hobby. And the good fish keepers try to get themselves to the point where the impulsive purchase doesn't result in a lack of care.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I think the impulse buys are just a constant in the hobby. And the good fish keepers try to get themselves to the point where the impulsive purchase doesn't result in a lack of care.
For sure! I keep a good stock of large tanks in storage because I can't trust myself not to buy a big cool fish on impulse...my basement looks like an aquarium supply warehouse!!

Reactions: clm08k and magpie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store