Whats the deal with 10" + Aro's with bare tanks????

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
T1KARMANN said:
no i am not saying you guys are not good fish keepers im saying you have more choice than us

after 1-2yrs of pumping you aro if your not happy with its development you can just sell it on and start again we dont have that choice
even if we have more choices, doesnt mean we keep fish in this manner. Any SGP member here can tell you that. In the past i could only keep aros for awhile as i was young and had only a 4ft tank to play ard with. When the aro got too big i didnt even sell it. Traded them for smaller ones or gave them away to hobbyists who could give them the space.

Many people are selling their aros now because they are giving up the hobby or have financial woes. Do not jump to conclusions as such.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
IoStrisciare said:
even if we have more choices, doesnt mean we keep fish in this manner. Any SGP member here can tell you that. In the past i could only keep aros for awhile as i was young and had only a 4ft tank to play ard with. When the aro got too big i didnt even sell it. Traded them for smaller ones or gave them away to hobbyists who could give them the space.

Many people are selling their aros now because they are giving up the hobby or have financial woes. Do not jump to conclusions as such.
ok like you said in a earlyer post you guys see the aros in the breeding pond

do any of the aros in the breeding ponds have drop eye if this is the case the farms are not doing their job properly

i breed dogs and if i get a dog with defects like hip problems or over or under shot jaw i will not breed from that dog as i think it is my job to make the breed better the same way it is a farms job to breed out their genetic problems their for they souldnt have any fish in their breeding program with drop eye

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
T1KARMANN said:
ok like you said in a earlyer post you guys see the aros in the breeding pond

do any of the aros in the breeding ponds have drop eye if this is the case the farms are not doing their job properly

i breed dogs and if i get a dog with defects like hip problems or over or under shot jaw i will not breed from that dog as i think it is my job to make the breed better the same way it is a farms job to breed out their genetic problems their for they souldnt have any fish in their breeding program with drop eye
sheesh...

i never said they arent doin their job. Don't put words in my mouth.

Lets say an arowana has a droop eye gene, HYPOTHETICALLY speaking. However, just like a parkinson's or balding, this gene requires a certain age or conditions for blossoming. How would you know if the fish had the recessive gene in the first place?

a dog and a fish are different.

and in an aro farm there are hundreds of breeding fish. Even if one had such a recessive gene you wouldn't know which fish has it. Simple enough.

As someone who has 15yrs of exp. I doubt you wouldn't know how aros are bred.

If your bare tank theory is 100% correct how come there are still hobbyists w aros that have droop eye in tanks tt aren't bare? And the fact that they do not allow food to stay too long at the bottom of the tank?

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
IoStrisciare said:
sheesh...

i never said they arent doin their job. Don't put words in my mouth.

Lets say an arowana has a droop eye gene, HYPOTHETICALLY speaking. However, just like a parkinson's or balding, this gene requires a certain age or conditions for blossoming. How would you know if the fish had the recessive gene in the first place?

a dog and a fish are different.

and in an aro farm there are hundreds of breeding fish. Even if one had such a recessive gene you wouldn't know which fish has it. Simple enough.

As someone who has 15yrs of exp. I doubt you wouldn't know how aros are bred.

If your bare tank theory is 100% correct how come there are still hobbyists w aros that have droop eye in tanks tt aren't bare? And the fact that they do not allow food to stay too long at the bottom of the tank?
when the farms harvest their fish they must know which parents the fry come from to be able to tag the fish properly so when the fry is taken from the adults if it comes from one or both parents that have drop eye the fry should be culed and the perants removed from the breeding program to make sure the genetic defect is bred out

if farms admit its a genetic defect then they admitting that it is a problem they need to sort out by doing selective breding and not breeding to make a fast $$$s

i dont understand your point if its genetic then the farms need to work harder to eliminate the drop eye problem wan hu say they are the only farm that do DNA testing so does this mean that none of their aros should get drop eye

if its not genetic then the only other reason a aro can get drop eye is the way it is kept

so do fish that are kept in ponds get drop eye or not ?

then comes the next problem the fish that are in the breeding ponds have they been kept in a pond all their life or have they been raised in a bare bottom where the drop eye could have started before they were put into the pond

only you guys have the answers to thease ?s as i have no experiance of aro breeding

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
IoStrisciare said:
what do u mean by this statement?

are u saying we are not good hobbyists?

T1karmann , lower price doesnt mean they cant take good care of it.
If anything, all those asian aros originated from their region , so they know all about how to keep it, grow it and eventually breed it.

All these people you are challenging, some of them has worked on actual arowana farms. These people have credentials , what are yours? Sometimes we need to be a bit humble and listen to others.

glockman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2005
One of the main reasons most aro keepers (myself included) have a bear tank is because we want to minimise injury to the fish. As you are aware, an asian aro is expensive to buy and a dropped scale will take many months to regrow and attain the shine of the surrounding scales. A broken pectoral is a disaster! Dropped scales, broken pects and other injuries occur mostly when a startled aro knocks itself, or scratch against rough surfaces like rocks, driftwood, etc.

Also, having pebbles and sand in the tank would trap dirt (uneaten food, feces, etc) which would increase ammonia in the tank.

Having said all that, I am in favour of a fully decorated tank to house aros. Its just that I'm too darn lazy to set up and maintain it. I'm such a slacker. :ROFL:

Oh, and this is my FIRST POST! Glad to be onboard! :woot:

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
redtailfool said:
T1karmann , lower price doesnt mean they cant take good care of it.
If anything, all those asian aros originated from their region , so they know all about how to keep it, grow it and eventually breed it.

All these people you are challenging, some of them has worked on actual arowana farms. These people have credentials , what are yours? Sometimes we need to be a bit humble and listen to others.
well from your avitar i see you keep a ray :D

would you say that the people who sell and ship the rays know more about them than you as they work with them every day yet still we get rays imported in a very bad state

just because someone works with something every day it doesnt mean they know more in most cases its the end user that has the greater knowlege

RockyGoldy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Singapore
T1KARMANN said:
just because someone works with something every day it doesnt mean they know more in most cases its the end user that has the greater knowlege
So guys..remember...do not visit the Dr when you are sick...heal urself or perform ur own surgery...cus as what stated by our bro here...most cases Dr wont know nuts about curing u....

just an example...

:naughty:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store