Whats the deal with 10" + Aro's with bare tanks????

pressure

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2005
RockyGoldy said:
So guys..remember...do not visit the Dr when you are sick...heal urself or perform ur own surgery...cus as what stated by our bro here...most cases Dr wont know nuts about curing u....

just an example...

:naughty:
hahaha...IGNORANCE IS THE ROOT OF ALL STUPIDITY

BRO, i think some people is just trying to act smart when they have "some" knowledge in breeding some animals....i hate these people...BUT i wont say they are "SILLY", i just laugh at them, like watching a clown juggling

pressure

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2005
T1KARMANN said:
when the farms harvest their fish they must know which parents the fry come from to be able to tag the fish properly so when the fry is taken from the adults if it comes from one or both parents that have drop eye the fry should be culed and the perants removed from the breeding program to make sure the genetic defect is bred out

if farms admit its a genetic defect then they admitting that it is a problem they need to sort out by doing selective breding and not breeding to make a fast $$$s

i dont understand your point if its genetic then the farms need to work harder to eliminate the drop eye problem wan hu say they are the only farm that do DNA testing so does this mean that none of their aros should get drop eye

if its not genetic then the only other reason a aro can get drop eye is the way it is kept

so do fish that are kept in ponds get drop eye or not ?

then comes the next problem the fish that are in the breeding ponds have they been kept in a pond all their life or have they been raised in a bare bottom where the drop eye could have started before they were put into the pond

only you guys have the answers to thease ?s as i have no experiance of aro breeding
bro, pls i think you dont know what you are talking....so maybe you wan to consider to go and do your homework before blabbering

pressure

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2005
IoStrisciare said:
sheesh...

i never said they arent doin their job. Don't put words in my mouth.

Lets say an arowana has a droop eye gene, HYPOTHETICALLY speaking. However, just like a parkinson's or balding, this gene requires a certain age or conditions for blossoming. How would you know if the fish had the recessive gene in the first place?

a dog and a fish are different.

and in an aro farm there are hundreds of breeding fish. Even if one had such a recessive gene you wouldn't know which fish has it. Simple enough.

As someone who has 15yrs of exp. I doubt you wouldn't know how aros are bred.

If your bare tank theory is 100% correct how come there are still hobbyists w aros that have droop eye in tanks tt aren't bare? And the fact that they do not allow food to stay too long at the bottom of the tank?
just to add to these...

about not allowing food at the bottom....i know of so many hobbyist with aros that have bare tank and NO droopy eye...do you mean they are "exceptions"?

pressure

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2005
T1KARMANN said:
well from your avitar i see you keep a ray :D

would you say that the people who sell and ship the rays know more about them than you as they work with them every day yet still we get rays imported in a very bad state

just because someone works with something every day it doesnt mean they know more in most cases its the end user that has the greater knowlege
at least they know where they are found and what they eat and how to keep them alive until they export them

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
pressure said:
at least they know where they are found and what they eat and how to keep them alive until they export them
keep them just alive

some of you guys just love to twist things just because you guys are asian it doesnt mean that you know much more about asian arowana than anyone else in the world WE HAVE KNOWLEGE to you know

its not just germans who can work on BMW

The Happy Mud Skipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2005
Banff, Canada
so there is no cure for droop eye........ i put four bright yellow bobers in my tank and my 14" arowana has flat eyes......a little sunken into his head but still almost curred after wondering if one day his eyes were going to fall out of his head. I think he got the drop eye after I put six senegalas bichirs in there (he kept looking at them on the bottom)

glockman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2005
A relative of mine breeds asian aros here in Singapore. He was one of the first to set up an aro breeding farm here, and is doing very well today. Anyway, from what I understand from him, droop eye is PROBABLY the result of consuming foods that are high in fat content. Thats the closest corelation the experts can come up with at this juncture. But a bare tank as a cause for droop eye is not a credible argument at all. Also, it is not a genetic issue.

So, there's really no definite answer for the cause of droop eye. But bare tank and genetics have been ruled out. And thats the scoop folks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store