What's your biggest disappointment in this hobby?

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
My biggest disappointment in this hobby is that I can never make my mind up, I sell fish and then regret selling them and start to lose interest in the hobby and then buy a new fish and the cycle continues. Hopefully I’ve finally found a tank that I really like and should keep for years.
My two biggest disappointments aren't fish I keep but rather the current state of the hobby:
In aquariums people either keep only sa/ca fish or African species , and not much else these days.

In ponds I see only koi and goldfish and rarely any other fish despite easily compatible species
I do agree with you on that one even though I have a CA cichlid tank I do think more people should branch out in the hobby, I’m setting up a uk native pond and I’m getting a cold water or brackish tank set up soon to so I can see the other parts of the hobby

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
I give up, you won. Cause if you can’t recognize or apologize for that term you used, them I’m wasting my time.

Imagine if your husband approached you and called you a waste of space. See my point...

Have a good day. Brian.
Her husband approaching her and calling her a waste of space, in no way shape or form is the same as her calling a type of fish a waste of space.. Your not a pleco first off, And even if you were, that wouldnt be directed at you.

Sry for the butt in, but i honestly hope that your drinking tonight or something, because a petty argument over someone elses opinion on what dissapoints them in their aquarium, then expecting an apology for what they dislike is shockingly absurd to me..

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
My disappointment is that my planted tanks never look as cool as the aquascapes in the utube vids
Loads of time and money! Unfortunately my own scape is already costing me a fair deal haha, just gotta have enough equipment and plants :)

pescado209

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2017
Loads of time and money! Unfortunately my own scape is already costing me a fair deal haha, just gotta have enough equipment and plants :)
don't have much money and definitely no time.. .. what's really lacking is that creative eye to images something and just nurture it to reality.

so for now I just daydream and watch the utube vids lol.

hell even my big oscar tank just doesn't look right and not sure what to do to it, but my fish still look pretty so that make the hobby worth it .

AzCody

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2018
I personally find plecos a waste of MY space as well. Just my opinion.

My disappointment came from my flower horn. As one of the many people who fell in love with Joey diy's flower horn Frank I decided to get one. I ended up with a femaile who grew no kok more color leaving her looking like a big green cichlid. All would be fine if she has some personality but she's the most boring fish ever. I went through alot to talk my wife into having a tank in the bedroom but lesson learned. On to the next venture.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
don't have much money and definitely no time.. .. what's really lacking is that creative eye to images something and just nurture it to reality.

so for now I just daydream and watch the utube vids lol.

hell even my big oscar tank just doesn't look right and not sure what to do to it, but my fish still look pretty so that make the hobby worth it .
It's more to practice and just taking time to accumulate the correct equipment and everything. Do tests with your hardscape and having a good amount of starting plants. From there it's patience :)

IMG_20181028_175158.jpg

Reactions: MrsE88 and Matteus

jordanlewis100

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2006
Kent,UK
My biggest disappointment is lack of space,time and funds but fish wise I would have to say Mbuna, beautiful fish don’t get me wrong but they breed quicker than rabbits and there was fry everywhere, just my opinion though

Reactions: Bertie07
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store