Wild ‘Columbia’ Oscars

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Long overdue update on the wild caught Oscar project.

I decided to rehome the lone wild caught to a buddy because it turned out to be a holy living terror, lol. When it got to be about 5” or so I felt it could make it in the 300 gallon, it was acting like a typical oscar and pouted and layed on the bottom for days. Then it got comfortable... real comfortable, and started attacking my heterospilus who was huge in comparison. It also started gill flaring at my big bichirs who probably could have ate him if they wanted. It didnt even seem to fear the gaint Pearsei, which I knew would be an issue when the oscar got bigger and would just be a bully.

Didnt want the calm in the tank to be disturbed by the psycho oscar so
I offered him to a buddy who was willing to try and take it on.

Reactions: justarn and Jexnell

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Another case of fish laying waste to our plans. Hope he is doing well. What ever happened to the red one?
The red went with my buddy also. It was really starting to look good and then the inbred genetics kicked in and it started getting hole in the head. The wild had no issues with hith and looked great.

Last pic I had of “Rusty” the Petsmart red

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The red went with my buddy also. It was really starting to look good and then the inbred genetics kicked in and it started getting hole in the head. The wild had no issues with hith and looked great.
Sorry to hear that news on both accounts, but interesting that the wild fish had no issues in the same tap water.

Jmahn

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2017
Scotland
sorry to hear you had to move them on. brilliant thread btw

Reactions: DMD123

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington