Wounds/ sores on flowerhorn

Elle1844

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2019
Hi, I have my flowerhorn Paul for about 2 months ago, occasionally I do 48-72 hours at work in one go so have to leave him. I installed an automatic feeder for this time. I have noticed recently that when I come back he looks like he is covered in grazes. First time was his side and this time was all over his kok? He shares at 270 litre tank for the time being with clown loach who stay away from him. His is about 3 inches. Parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 40 nitrate. Am about to do at 60% water change but wondering if this is a disease or him bashing himself on something?

C43596E6-AF81-4E2C-9EFC-5906783FF571.jpeg

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
I would add some salt to the tank and raise the temp. It could be a bullying issue with the flowerhorn bullying the clown loach. Flowerhorns prefer solitary environs. I would add something to prevent infection.

Reactions: maxstillen

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
Looks to me like cuts from charging into objects in the tank. I agree with sikoko that he could be chasing after the clown loach and in that process slamming himself into something in your aquarium. If you don't want to get rid of the loach I would remove anything like big rocks and offer patches of thick plastic plants for your loach to hide in. Some flowerhorns are calm and can have tank mates and others are just bullys who wont tolerate any other living creature in their tank.

Elle1844

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2019
Is that the deepest/biggest graze on him?
Yeah it is. I thought that maybe. I haven’t seen him chase them in a few weeks but he has recently decided that he prefers their food to his own so I wonder if that’s when he is chasing them? I have taken out some rough rocks and just kept a smooth cave incase it’s those rocks

Elle1844

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2019
I would add some salt to the tank and raise the temp. It could be a bullying issue with the flowerhorn bullying the clown loach. Flowerhorns prefer solitary environs. I would add something to prevent infection.
I have ordered some salt so will be able to add tomorrow when it is delivered. The current temp is 30 Celsius can I go higher?

Elle1844

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2019
Looks to me like cuts from charging into objects in the tank. I agree with sikoko that he could be chasing after the clown loach and in that process slamming himself into something in your aquarium. If you don't want to get rid of the loach I would remove anything like big rocks and offer patches of thick plastic plants for your loach to hide in. Some flowerhorns are calm and can have tank mates and others are just bullys who wont tolerate any other living creature in their tank.
I’ll have a look into some plants. I have one in there at the moment along with the caves and to be honest my flowerhorn prefers to hide behind it more than my clown loach.

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
I would stay there and keep outside stressors to a minimum. Also watch for signs of infection.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store